Windows Explorer Inconsistent Behavior RRS feed

• General discussion

• Can anyone explain to me how Windows Explorer works, and if it can be controlled?

I take a lot of photos, which I save into various folders. I rename them using my own particular protocol.

Sometimes when I rename photos, they jump to the “proper” alphabetical location. To clarify: All photos in a folder are named IMGxxx, each with a different number. If I re-name a photo “Alfred” it jumps above all <st1:stockticker>IMG</st1:stockticker> photos. If I re-name it “Kelly” it jumps to the end of all <st1:stockticker>IMG</st1:stockticker> photos, etc. etc. Other times the re-named photos stay where they are, without regard to alphabetical order. Whichever behavior happens is consistent within a folder, AT THAT TIME.

I then load the photos, five at a time, starting with the first photos in the folder, into Photo Shop for any necessary adjustment. I save them using CTRL S (so they are saved into the same folder); as well as saving them a second time into another folder.

Sometimes the modified photos are still at the top of the folder; other times they have moved to the end.

Who can explain this and whether it can be controlled?

• Changed type tracycai Monday, March 4, 2013 8:22 AM
    Monday, February 25, 2013 3:02 AM

All replies

• If you hit f5 then things will sort properly.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ” How to ask a question that is fixable.

Monday, February 25, 2013 6:25 PM
  • Hi,

It is because the files are organized by Name. You can take the following steps to sort your files:
    1. Open the folder or library that you want to sort.
    2. Right-click an empty space, point to Sort by, and then click a property (such as Tags).
    3. If you don't see the property you're looking for in the Sort by menu, click More to add additional properties.
    More information, please see:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Arrange-sort-or-group-your-files

Tracy Cai
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 6:44 AM