none
Microsoft Project Manual Scheduling RRS feed

• Question

• I am currently using Microsoft Project and created a fresh work plan. As I entered an "actual finish" date - the dates that populate in the roll up change to something completely different that is not in the calendar. 

For example: I had a task that was Baseline Start 7/15/15 and Baseline Finish 7/31/15. I entered the Actual Start as 7/13/15 and all of the Actual Finish above that task populated to 8/25/15 (a date that is no where in my work plan). I keep clicking manual schedule yet it keeps populating as I update the actuals and it's getting quite confusing. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Wednesday, October 14, 2015 7:27 PM

All replies

• Ruqayya88,

First of all, why are you using manual scheduling? Manual scheduling is for very early rough schedule outlines when there are a lot of unknowns and you are nowhere near ready to set a baseline. However, since you apparently have set a baseline, your plan sounds like it is firmed up and ready to go. To get the most benefit from Project, all tasks should be auto-scheduled.

Try switching to auto-scheduled for all tasks. That in itself may resolve many, if not all, of your issues.

John

• Proposed as answer by Jim Project Thursday, April 21, 2016 2:32 PM
    Wednesday, October 14, 2015 8:30 PM
  • Ruqayya88,

Check out the link below for some help on manual versus automatic scheduling in Project.  It's about a 10 minute read that will fix all of the issues you're experiencing.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/How-scheduling-works-in-Project-5d4f5981-4e9f-4e8e-a699-2ef2a419252f

Jim

Jim Project

Wednesday, October 14, 2015 11:08 PM
  • The article Jim gave is good, but I repeat John's advice. Once your initial broad brush scheduling is done, never ever use manual scheduling. I think Microsoft introduced it purely to make Excel converts feel happier.

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Thursday, October 15, 2015 9:17 AM
  • Completely agree with John and Rod.  Using manual scheduling takes, arguably, the best feature of Project away.  Auto-scheduling tasks allows Project to do a forward pass and a backward pass automatically.  This lets you see your critical path and where you might have some slack.  

Jim Project

Thursday, October 15, 2015 1:08 PM