How to edit header and footer content on every page without using section breaks RRS feed

• Question

• I have a large document transfer register that essentially is a continuous table that must be continuous/paginate. So the table must flow through all pages i.e. whenever a new row is added all the other rows must move down accordingly throughout the entire document. However, the header and footer are smaller tables too, of which the content of tables need to be different on each page. I cannot "un-link to previous" without using breaks. However, if I use breaks then the table in the body of the document breaks.

Solutions please?!

Tuesday, February 14, 2017 10:52 PM

All replies

• Short answer: impossible.

FranklinJ

Wednesday, February 15, 2017 9:56 AM
  • It is by no means clear what you are trying to achieve. You refer to headers & footers, but give no indication whether these are the same on each page or differ.

If they're the same, you could put the header & footer into the page header & footer, respectively. There is no need for Section breaks or manual page breaks in the scenario. Alternatively, for the headers, you could use Word's table 'heading row repeat' option; there is no equivalent for table footers.

If they differ, one way or another you will have to break the table.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Monday, February 20, 2017 9:53 AM
    Thursday, February 16, 2017 7:25 AM
  • Not necessarily impossible. It depends on what the different content for each page is (other than the page number). See StyleRef Field for the simplest method of having different content in the header/footer for every page while still only having one header/footer for the document (no section breaks).

Header/Footer Settings Recap

If the content you want in the header/footer is not in the body of the document, then you probably will need section breaks.

Again StyleRef Field. See also Useful StyleRef tricks.

It is rare to need a table in a header or footer. Generally positioning of text can be accomplished using tabs.

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

• Edited by Charles Kenyon Thursday, February 16, 2017 10:17 PM Updated link
    Thursday, February 16, 2017 10:12 PM