Unable to create volume after setting up Storage Spaces Direct manually. RRS feed

• Question

• Performance Tier and Capacity Tier show 0GB available. Cluster Pool shows 4.66TB of capacity. 

When I try to create a volume it says "The storage pool does not have sufficient eligible resources for the creation of the specified virtual disk"

These are the commands I ran:

Below is an example of the steps to do this: 

#Create cluster and enable S2D
    New-Cluster -Name DFR-Research -Node node1,node2 -NoStorage
    Enable-ClusterS2D -AutoConfig:0 -SkipEligibilityChecks

#Create storage pool and set media type to HDD
    New-StoragePool -StorageSubSystemFriendlyName *Cluster* -FriendlyName S2D -ProvisioningTypeDefault Fixed -PhysicalDisk (Get-PhysicalDisk | ? CanPool -eq $true)

Get-StorageSubsystem *cluster* | Get-PhysicalDisk | Where MediaType -eq "UnSpecified" | Set-PhysicalDisk -MediaType HDD

#Create storage tiers
    $pool = Get-StoragePool S2D
    New-StorageTier -StoragePoolUniqueID ($pool).UniqueID -FriendlyName Performance -MediaType HDD -ResiliencySettingName Mirror
    New-StorageTier -StoragePoolUniqueID ($pool).UniqueID -FriendlyName Capacity -MediaType HDD -ResiliencySettingName Parity

#Create a volume
    New-Volume -StoragePool $pool -FriendlyName Mirror -FileSystem CSVFS_REFS -StorageTiersFriendlyNames Performance, Capacity -StorageTierSizes 2GB, 10GB

Jonathan Martinez

Friday, October 21, 2016 3:38 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Jonathan Martinez,

Thanks for your post.

I have to say that I'm also new to server 2016, and still testing for  server 2016. Maybe the information is not so useful. But for error “The storage pool does not have sufficient eligible resources for the creation of the specified virtual disk”, it also happens before in preview server 2016. You might also refer to the thread discussed before for a reference. 

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/75410ae9-939a-4fe5-bb83-db144228ccb0/storage-spaces-direct-tierscache?forum=WinServerPreview

Best Regards,

Mary

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Mary Dong Friday, October 21, 2016 7:06 AM
    Friday, October 21, 2016 7:06 AM
  • Ok. This makes perfect sense. I switched to a two-way mirror on both the performance and capacity tiers and also disabled the cache.

I ordered two nvme drives to test caching. So, I'll just need 4 nodes to test the parity stuff.

Jonathan Martinez

Friday, October 21, 2016 4:30 PM