Does Service Pack 1 Beta resolve Hyper-V high-end video performance issues? RRS feed

• Question

• A colleague and I noticed that the Service Pack seems to resolve known Hyper-V video performance problems with some high-end graphics cards . The only thing that seems to be an issue still is full-screen video payback from YouTube/Vimeo, etc. Does anyone know why this is fixed now, if there are other issues than the full-screen video playback and how it was fixed? Is it related to RemoteFX? I'd love to know more.
    Monday, August 2, 2010 3:12 PM

Answers

All replies

• The general idea behind a beta test is that beta-testers should try out such known problem areas, and let us all know the answer.  This might be the only way that your detailed queries can be resolved.

However, having said that, one of the issues that was identified that caused video performance issues in earlier versions of Hyper-V was the absence of Second Level Address Translation (SLAT) in the processor chip.  I note that SLAT is now listed as one of the hardware prerequisites for RemoteFX.  So maybe the problems you refer to are amongst those that might be ameliorated by an appropriate hardware setup for the Hyper-V server.

Robin Walker
    Monday, August 2, 2010 3:35 PM
  • Hi Robin. Yeah, I understand the role of a beta tester. I'm wondering if anyone has any insight in to the different/improved behaviour that I've observed, and whether other testers have noticed any other nuances in the changed behaviour, such as the full-screen in-browser video playback quirk that I mentioned above. The full screen CTRL+ALT+DEL redraw operation seems a bit slow to me still as well.

I've tested on two Dell XPS M1330. An example test of slow performance on SP0 is Windows Key + Arrow to resize/move windows. This was very slow previously and instantaneous now, even across monitors. As time permits I will also test on a newer Dell Latitude E6410 which had blue screen problems with Hyper-V + high-end graphics drivers.

I've noted the SLAT requirement for RemoteFX and this processor does not have SLAT, for whatever that's worth. I was able to add the RemoteFX role though, also for what it's worth (probably very little).

Without wishing to rehash the debate about whether a Server OS is suitable for a laptop, we do SharePoint 2010 development/demonstartion so we need a virtualisation solution that can host 64-bit guests, and in the Microsoft family that is Windows Server 2008 R2 with Hyper-V. We've put up with the degraded graphics experience on this model for some time. We are now considering a hardware refresh, so this has some pretty massive implications for us.

Monday, August 2, 2010 4:48 PM
  •   A SLAT processor is definitely required to run RemoteFX. You can enable the role without it, but it won't do anything for you. I have done this on a non-SLAT server.

RemoteFX requires the high-end graphics driver because the guest is using the host's GPU. I have not seen any problems on the host (Intel i5 750), and both the host and the Hyper-V guest (Win 7 Ultimate SP) run Aero in full screen 1920x1080. Note that if the guest has a RemoteFX driver you must access it using an RDP connection. The "connect" option from the Hyper-V console is disabled. You get a warning message if you try to use it.

Bill
    Tuesday, August 3, 2010 12:12 AM
  • Thanks Bill. That's all good to know. I fear I may have distracted from the original question though, which is whether/how the Hyper-V host 's graphics performance is expected to improve with the Service Pack. I'm assuming that Remote FX will only change the graphics experience connecting to the guests. By "host" I mean the the root partition in a Full installation, i.e. Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard/Enterprise, not the stand-alone Hyper-V Server OS.
    Tuesday, August 3, 2010 1:15 PM
  •   I don't know what has been changed, but I do know that people who were having this problem no longer see it after installing the Service pack beta. They do not need to install RemoteFX, so obviously it is change in how the video is handled.  See this thread as an example.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverhyperv/thread/946bb4cc-c553-43f6-b723-a453174de709

Bill
    Tuesday, August 3, 2010 10:58 PM
  • Thanks Bill! I'll temporarily infer that some kind of a fix has been made then. I'll try and post my results with the newer Latitude here once we get the time to test, as it looks like both the blue screen issues and the poor performance might be fixed by this. Thanks for your help.
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 9:03 AM
  • I found the time to test this out on a Dell Latitude E6410 today. This is a Core i5 so I'm fairly certain it has SLAT. The results were interesting. This is what I did:

• Installed Windows Server 2008 R2 fresh.
    • Patched current and installed the latest drivers, including the graphics driver for the NVIDIA NVS 3100M.
    • Installed Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 Beta.
    • Waited through about 10 minutes of pain when the screen went completely black after the first reboot, while plenty of disk activity was occuring.
    • Breathed a deep sigh when graphic service eventually resumed as normal.
    • Added the Hyper-V Role and rebooted.
    • Tested video, as above.

Interestingly, the full-screen in-browser video and CTRL+ALT+DEL redraw issues are gone on this hardware. The audio drivers work now too, although that's probably a result of a driver update. All told, this is pleasing. Now I can hopefully start putting Dynamic Memory and RemoteFX to the test.

If anyone can shed any more light on the internals behind these changes, I'd love to know more.

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 4:53 PM