Can Outlook 2010 and Outlook 2016 Serially -- Not Cuncurrently -- Use the Same PST File? RRS feed

• Question

• Windows 10 Pro X64
    Outlook 2010
    Outlook 2016

I am in the process of migrating from Office 2010 on one machine to Office 2016 on another.  The Outlook 2010 PST files are on a shared directory.  Can I use the same PST file with Office 2010 and then shut it and then start Outlook 2016 using it?

http://www.saberman.com

• Edited by saberman Monday, July 23, 2018 1:29 AM Typo
    Monday, July 23, 2018 1:29 AM

Answers

• Thank you for the update.

>>My question is really not about connectivity but whether or not Outlook 2016 will change (upgrade?) the Outlook files so that Outlook 2010 will be confused.

By "Outlook 2016 will change (upgrade?) the Outlook files", do you mean you want to know whether Outlook 2016 will change the PST file to a format which is not supported by Outlook 2010? If this is the case, no need to worry about it. Outlook 2010 and Outlook 2016 use the same PST format.

However, there is another thing you need to pay attention to. Starting with build 16.0.7910.1000, there is a change in the way that Microsoft Outlook 2016 works with file names and paths. That change can make Outlook 2016 unable to add .pst and .ost files from a non-local drive, which was previously successful. See Error when you add a PST or OST file on a non-local drive in Outlook 2016 for more details.

(As a reminder, adding .pst files from a network share is not technically supported in Outlook 2016. If you really want to use this configuration, you take the risk of any performance or stability problems when you use the .pst file in an unsupported configuration.)

If I've misunderstood something, feel free to let me know.

Thanks,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Marked as answer by saberman Tuesday, July 24, 2018 2:29 PM
    Tuesday, July 24, 2018 5:30 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This might be possible to share an Outlook PST file between two instances of Outlook if you don't use both Outlook instances at the same time, however, it's not a supported configuration as it may cause some unexpected behavior. This article describes how you can work around this to have this capability:

How to manage a .pst file for two different computers in Outlook

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, July 23, 2018 5:32 AM
  • The link you provided does not really say how to manage a .pst file for two diffenetn computers in Outlook.  It says to copy the file so each version has its own copy.  If I do that they will very shortly be out of synch.

So the question still is can I use one shared folder with pst and other outlook files between two versions of Outlook as long as only one is running at a time?

Monday, July 23, 2018 6:49 AM
  • Thank you for clarifying. As we have mentioned in our first post, it's possible to store your PST file on a network share and access this PST file from different Outlook instances. However, we don't recommend it and this configuration is not supported by us. You may see this article to know more details about this limitation. So, on the assumption that you won't use this unsupported configuration, the link we provided listed some workarounds for this situation.

Thank you for the understanding.

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Monday, July 23, 2018 7:00 AM
  • I think there is one other factor I should have mentioned:

The two machines I am switching between are VMs and the shared folder that the Outlook files are in are on the host.  I am the only user of the host machine and VMs.

Also, this link on the page your referenced:

If there are roaming users in the organization, visit the following Microsoft website:

Please note that I have been running the configuration with Outlook 2010 accessing its files on a host share for years.  My question is really not about connectivity but whether or not Outlook 2016 will change (upgrade?) the Outlook files so that Outlook 2010 will be confused.

Monday, July 23, 2018 7:21 PM
  • Thank you for the update.

>>My question is really not about connectivity but whether or not Outlook 2016 will change (upgrade?) the Outlook files so that Outlook 2010 will be confused.

By "Outlook 2016 will change (upgrade?) the Outlook files", do you mean you want to know whether Outlook 2016 will change the PST file to a format which is not supported by Outlook 2010? If this is the case, no need to worry about it. Outlook 2010 and Outlook 2016 use the same PST format.

However, there is another thing you need to pay attention to. Starting with build 16.0.7910.1000, there is a change in the way that Microsoft Outlook 2016 works with file names and paths. That change can make Outlook 2016 unable to add .pst and .ost files from a non-local drive, which was previously successful. See Error when you add a PST or OST file on a non-local drive in Outlook 2016 for more details.

(As a reminder, adding .pst files from a network share is not technically supported in Outlook 2016. If you really want to use this configuration, you take the risk of any performance or stability problems when you use the .pst file in an unsupported configuration.)

If I've misunderstood something, feel free to let me know.

Thanks,
    Steve Fan

• Marked as answer by saberman Tuesday, July 24, 2018 2:29 PM
    Tuesday, July 24, 2018 5:30 AM
  • >That change can make Outlook 2016 unable to add .pst and .ost files from a non-local drive, which was previously successful.
    Once again Microsoft failed to understand how their products are used in the real world.  

>Microsoft is currently investigating this issue and will post additional information here when it is available.
    Why doesn't Microsoft investigate problems BEFORE they spring them on their user base?
    > If this is the case, no need to worry about it. Outlook 2010 and Outlook 2016 use the same PST format.
    Thanks -- that is what I was originally worried about.  Now I have to check the path.

Tuesday, July 24, 2018 2:29 PM