Safelist Syncing - FOPE Gateway vs Direction Syncronisation Tool??? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have read that the FOPE Gateway syncronises Safe Senders / Blocked Senders etc from FPE in to FOPE. However I am also using the Directory Syncronisation Tool (DST) to sync my AD objects in to FOPE and I understand that can propogate the Safe Senders / Blocked Senders / Safelist aggregation etc from Exchange in to FOPE as well.

Both these seem to perform the same job but in different products? Do they overlap? If so how do they work, or alternatively which one is best?

Thanks

Mark

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 11:24 AM

Answers

• Hello Mark,

It's a matter of preference which one you choose to use.  If you are comfortable using the DST tool to sync your AD objects, and allowed/rejected lists, then you may want to consider continuing to use those, in addition to logging into the admin center for other changes.

If this is a new FPE installation, and you have tons of Exchange anti-spam policy rules that you want ported up to the cloud, then you may want to consider syncing with the FPE/FOPE method.  FPE will 'import' that is, read whatever was pre-existing in Exchange's Anti-spam rules, assuming you have them there, and then sync those to the cloud, where they will take precedence before any other same rules.

Couple of other similarities/differences-
    -Both methods offer limited control of policy settings, vs logging into the admin center
    -Both methods can do differential sync.  In FPE/FOPE, this is the only way, in that it will sync only when a change is detected
    -DST offers safe sender aggregation, whereas FPE/FOPE allows Reject/Allow IP syncs

So in short, if you are comfortable and have been using DST, then I would continue to use that.  If you have tons of anti-spam settings within Exchange that you want moved up, and then managed from the FPE console, then use FPE/FOPE.  Keep in mind that both methods offers a limited view of FOPE's policy capapbilities though...

Dan

• Marked as answer by markbn2 Wednesday, June 22, 2011 8:35 AM
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 11:44 PM