none
Global Address List not updating RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

We currently run Exchange 2003 and will soon switch over to 2010. However at the moment we have an issue with the Global Address List. We have created some distribution groups in Active Directory containing some users but as time goes on the users change. The problem is that although we are updating the groups when we go to send from Outlook 2007 the groups are still the same as when they were first created and have not been updated with new users. Is there a way to remedy this without the need to recreate the groups? Will this work on Exchange 2010?

Thanks all in advance.

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 11:54 AM

All replies

• First and foremost, have you followed this article by Microsoft, especially the part about moving public folders over?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg576862.aspx

Second, once everything was moved over, is the OAB Generator on the Exchange 2010 server? If it is, click Update to see if you changes go through.

Third and last, if this does not work, turn on diagnostic logging under ExchangeSa for the OAL Generator up to Medium, then click on Update for the Offline Address Book again.  Check the event logs for any OAB errors.

Let us know what you find.

[The Offline Address Book in Exchange 2010 is under Organization Configuration - Mailbox - Offline Address Book tab]

JAUCG
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 8:56 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.

I am sorry but I must not have explained well enough. When I said we will switch over to Exchange 2010 soon I didn't mean it's already installed and everything. We still need to install and move over to it so excuse me for the confusion. We are still on Exchange 2003 and useing only that at the moment. So any idea how to update the groups for it?

Thanks in advance.

Thursday, January 19, 2012 7:46 AM
  • In Exchange Server 2003 there is a service that runs in the background called the Recipient Update Service. 

In your case, I would still like you to regenerate the Offline Address Book after your turn up diagnostic logging.  Find your server in the Exchange System Manager, right click on it and select properties.  Then find diagnostic logging from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa996402(EXCHG.65).aspx.  Select MSExchangeSA and in the rightpane, select OAL Generator and change the setting from none to Maximum. Click OK until it is set.

To kick off a new update on the address, go to the Exchange System Manager, expand the Recipients container, then select the Default Offline Address List, right click on it and select Rebuild. 

Go to an Outlook client and download the address book via Send/Recieve.  Did you get the updates?  If not, check the event logs on the Exchange 2003 server to see if any errors were produced.

JAUCG
    • Proposed as answer by Sophia Xu Friday, January 20, 2012 1:37 AM
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 1:38 PM
  • Thanks for the reply JUACG.

I followed your steps and enabled the OAL Generator diagnostic logging. I rebuilt the Default Offline Address List and downloaded the updated address book in outlook however there are still no updates. I checked the event viewer but there are not errors reported from the OAL generator, in fact according to the events it had rebuilt it successfully.

Any idea what could be the matter?

Thanks in advance for the reply.

Friday, January 20, 2012 10:19 AM
  • Two questions then, are these Distribution Groups been manually updated (static not query based) or are these Distribution Groups Query based and are searching in AD to build itself?  Also, when you download the address book, are you downloading the entire address book [Full Details]?  Also, uncheck the "Download changes since last Send/Recieve" and try to download it again.

Last thing to check is to open up the Address Book in Outlook, if none of those steps work, and use the drop down that says something like 'Global Addresss List' and select 'All Groups' instead.  If you look at the groups using this method, are they updated?

JAUCG
    Friday, January 20, 2012 1:48 PM
  • Thanks JUACG for the reply.

I tried all the methods you mention and in none of them are the groups updated.

I tried the OABInteg tool to see if there are any problems and I got this:

Failure: ADsOpenObject
    ADSI Error: hr = 0x8007203a - LDAP_SERVER_DOWN - ERROR_DS_SERVER_DOWN: Cannot contact the LDAP server.
    Function: HrGetRootDSEData
    Line number: 177
    Unable to obtain the configuration container.

Any idea how to fix this please?

Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 9:33 AM
  • Are there any domain controllers that are having an issue?  Find out which domain controller is your 'Configuration domain controllers' and run dcdiag against them to see if there are any issues [ dcdiag /s:<dc name> /v ].  Any errors on that command?

Is Outlook in cached mode?  If it is, can you take one out of cached mode, log out of Outlook, reopen Outlook and check for the updates as well?

One more thing you might want to do is go into Recipients Policies, right click on each policy and select Rebuild.  Wait a bit and then regenerate the OAB. See if any errors are generated.

Then check Outlook once more.

JAUCG
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 1:42 PM
  • I ran the dcdiag and found some options with NTfrs. I managed to solve the issues regarding the replications between the domain controllers. However now I re-ran the test of the OABInteg but still the same result with the same error.

What I am noticing is that it is that when doing this test it is trying to connect with itself for the global catalog. Is that correct? Does the exchange server need to be a GC server? And where do I find out which servers are GC?

Thanks in advance.
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 3:58 PM
  • Yes, Exchange needs a GC to do its work and to function correctly.

Open up Active Directory Sites and Services.  Find your domain controller (It may be under Default-First-Site-Name)  and expand it all the way til you see NTDS Settings.  Right click on that and select Properties.  Is Global Catalog checked?  Do this for each DC in Active Directory.

JAUCG
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 5:44 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.

All DC's are set as GC and the errors have been fixed. I tried running the OABInteg tool again but again I received the following error.

Command line arguments: oabinteg /s:<Exchange Server> /l /t:oaltest
    Program started at: 10:10:40 AM
    Running OABInteg on: <Exchange Server>\NULL
    Trying to connect to: GC://<Exchange Server>

Failure: ADsOpenObject
    ADSI Error: hr = 0x8007203a - LDAP_SERVER_DOWN - ERROR_DS_SERVER_DOWN: Cannot co
    ntact the LDAP server.
    Function: HrGetRootDSEData
    Line number: 177
    Unable to obtain the configuration container.

What I noticed is that when it is trying to connect to a GC it is trying to connect with itself but the exchange server is not a GC server. Is there a way to manually point it to another server that is actually a GC? It could be the reason why the OAB are not updating.

Any other ideas of what I may try?

Thanks in advance

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 9:25 AM
  • Reference this article for pointing Exchange to another GC: http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/exchange-system-manager-domain-controller-selection.html
    JAUCG
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 3:28 PM
  • Thanks for the helpful link.

I followed the instructions and it is pointing to a correct GC.

After several attempts the groups are still not updating. Any idea what else I might try?

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 3:52 PM
  • Did you try Cached versus Non-Cached mode?

JAUCG
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 8:28 PM
  • Yes I tried that as well.

Don't know what else to try. To be honest I have almost given up and am waiting to upgrade to Exchange 2010 so maybe the problem solves itself.

Unless there are any more solutions I can try.

Wednesday, February 1, 2012 7:51 AM
  • Double check all the steps in this article to see if there is any more advice in the logging:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dgoldman/archive/2005/07/16/how-to-troubleshoot-the-oab-generation-process.aspx

Also, can you see your changes in Active Directory Users and Computers? What level did you set diagnostic logging to?  High?  There is a way to set it higher if we need.

JAUCG
    Thursday, February 2, 2012 4:31 AM