none
Change in Smart host/relay server

Question

• Hi,

Our ISP has informed us that they are going to change the relay server next week.

we are having Exchange 2010 Entp. 2 node cluster environment.

I have following queries -

1- At present on Internet Connector -- ISP's existing relay server is present so If I add new new relay server in the list then will affect any functionality ?

Also, Do I need to take reboot of both the servers or any specific Exchange Service restart will help ?

Please suggest

-Atul

TheAtulA

Wednesday, June 14, 2017 9:51 AM

Answers

• If an SMTP Send connector is configured to use more than one smart host, connection requests are load balanced across the smart hosts. If a smart host is not available, fault tolerance is provided by retrying the connection to another smart host that is configured on the connector.
    • Marked as answer by - Atul Thursday, June 15, 2017 7:01 AM
    Wednesday, June 14, 2017 11:13 AM
  • Hi TheAtulA,

The changes to the Send Connector will take effect immediately without you having to reboot the server or restart any services.

Have a nice day!

Regards,

Jason Chao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 15, 2017 5:25 AM

All replies

• if you have two IP's in smart host it will round robin between them
    Wednesday, June 14, 2017 10:33 AM
  • will work in round robin fashion till the time old relay server is live ? what if they have decommissioned the old server and we still have old relay server entry present in the connector ? so what will happen ?

also do i need to restart any service on Exchange Server ?

TheAtulA

Wednesday, June 14, 2017 10:55 AM
  • If an SMTP Send connector is configured to use more than one smart host, connection requests are load balanced across the smart hosts. If a smart host is not available, fault tolerance is provided by retrying the connection to another smart host that is configured on the connector.
    • Marked as answer by - Atul Thursday, June 15, 2017 7:01 AM
    Wednesday, June 14, 2017 11:13 AM
  • Thanks Jon,

Do I need to restart any Exchange service after adding 2nd Smart host ?

TheAtulA

Thursday, June 15, 2017 5:04 AM
  • Hi TheAtulA,

The changes to the Send Connector will take effect immediately without you having to reboot the server or restart any services.

Have a nice day!

Regards,

Jason Chao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 15, 2017 5:25 AM