none
DPM Server Tapes in a disaster recovery scenerio RRS feed

• Question

• What happens if I lose my DPM (2007 or 2010) server to a disaster? 

Can the tapes I have be used to read data offsite somewhere? 

If I have tapes that were made with DPM 2007  and I upgraded that server to DPM 2010 and I loose the DPM 2010 server where can I read those tapes?

Example 1 I have a flat file and I want to restore?
    Example 2 I have a SQL database that needs to be restored?

I performed the simple test of installing DPM 2007 SP1 created a tape backup.  I formated the server installed DPM 2010 from scratch and attempted to read the tape from DPM 2007 SP1 and all I saw was CRC errors.  This was using the same hardware.

Friday, September 24, 2010 2:41 PM

Answers

• Don,

DPM2010 can import and re-catalog tapes made by DPM 2007.  If the tapes were encrypted, you need to import the certificate from the DPM 2007 server that wrote the tape. 

Right-click the Imported tape and select "Recatalog imported tape" Once cataloged, the tape contents should show up under the recovery tab under the EXTERNAL DPM TAPES, and you should be able to browse the contents and restore from there.

The restore options available will be limited to restoring to a network share or disk of any server that has an agent installed.  You cannot restore back to original location.

For DPM2010 to DPM2010, the tape should be identified as "imported"  you can then recatalog the tape and should be able to restore normally. 

I have provided a few links for recataloging and identifying unknown tapes

Please reveiw the following post which explains

Regards, A.Nadar, This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Saturday, September 25, 2010 12:02 AM

All replies

• Hi

The difference between DPM2007 and DPM 2010 if that in DPM 2007 Microsoft supported two different block-level sizes. In DPM2010 DPM only supports one blocksize.

If you got a tape that a DPM2010 server has backed up data to I think your able to import that tape to another DPM2010 server and restore the information.

BR

Robert Hedblom

Check out my DPM blog @ http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com

Friday, September 24, 2010 8:09 PM
  • So I wonder what happens to all your old tapes when you "upgrade" from DPM 2007 SP1 to DPM 2010?  Are all your tapes still readable?  Is Microoft not monitoring these forums?

Friday, September 24, 2010 8:14 PM
  • I some cases I have noticed that if your used hardware compression on the tapedrive in the DPM2007 installation there are problems using those tapes in DPM2010 with another compatible tapedrive.

Check out my DPM blog @ http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com

Friday, September 24, 2010 8:47 PM
  • Don,

DPM2010 can import and re-catalog tapes made by DPM 2007.  If the tapes were encrypted, you need to import the certificate from the DPM 2007 server that wrote the tape. 

Right-click the Imported tape and select "Recatalog imported tape" Once cataloged, the tape contents should show up under the recovery tab under the EXTERNAL DPM TAPES, and you should be able to browse the contents and restore from there.

The restore options available will be limited to restoring to a network share or disk of any server that has an agent installed.  You cannot restore back to original location.

For DPM2010 to DPM2010, the tape should be identified as "imported"  you can then recatalog the tape and should be able to restore normally. 

I have provided a few links for recataloging and identifying unknown tapes

Please reveiw the following post which explains

Regards, A.Nadar, This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Saturday, September 25, 2010 12:02 AM
  • Thanks for the response.

This is not what I observe.   I will double check. 

Is there a distinction of what can be restored (In terms of where it can be restored to) when doing an upgrade versus fresh install?  My assumption would be you can restore to original locatio for the upgrade scenerio just not the fresh install location.

And when you say restore to network or disk of any server you mean we can restore flat files.  For workloads such as SQL, Exchange and Hyper-V it is expected that we should be able to take that data and commence disaster recovery operations?  In other words assuming the original SQL or Exchange infrastructure exists we should be able to get the data back into those workloads somehow?

Don Murphy

Saturday, September 25, 2010 2:09 AM