Uploading a New Version of a File - Does filename HAVE to be the same? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi fellow SP users,

Here is the situation I find myself in:

1. Document is received from an external originator source.
    2. check that into SP as a new document
    3. We have various email correspondence about the document and the document is updated by the originator on their internal systems - not using our SP.
    4. They send us an updated version of that document, and they often suffix it with the date of the update to the filename, or worse, they make other minor changes to the filename.
    5. I want to check this newly received file over the top of the existing file in our SP.

Q: Do I *really* have to rename the file to be the same as what is in the current version in SP?

The problem is that I am not the only one receiving these file updates, and those receivers do not (care to) change the filename to make sure a new version of the same file is created.

How I envisaged (and thought was possible with SP) was that I could find the file on SP, click on it and there would be an option to "Upload New Version" that would not care what the filename of the file I am uploading actually is.

Am I dreaming? Is that not possible? Maybe in another version of SP? Or should I put that up as a wishlist? :)

Thanks,

Mark

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 4:53 AM

Answers

• Till this point i feel you are dreaming. This is not possible in OOTB. This is actually your wish list. But It is possible if you can write a logic using code to automate your requirement.

File name has to be same for document version to work.

Regards,

Sairam Avacorp Technologies

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 5:52 AM
  • Hello,

SharePoint version feature works based on file name so you have to have same name of the file to upload it to new version. If you change the name then sharepoint consider that file as new and upload it separately.

Hemendra:Yesterday is just a memory,Tomorrow we may never see
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 5:58 AM

All replies

• Ah... Just found out that we are using Moss2007... :\

OK, so is what I am asking for above possible in a more current version of SP?

Mark

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 5:27 AM
  • Till this point i feel you are dreaming. This is not possible in OOTB. This is actually your wish list. But It is possible if you can write a logic using code to automate your requirement.

File name has to be same for document version to work.

Regards,

Sairam Avacorp Technologies

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 5:52 AM
  • Hello,

SharePoint version feature works based on file name so you have to have same name of the file to upload it to new version. If you change the name then sharepoint consider that file as new and upload it separately.

Hemendra:Yesterday is just a memory,Tomorrow we may never see
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 5:58 AM