none
Continue Tape Backup Job if Libary is Full (DPM 2012 R2) RRS feed

• Question

• HI Guys,

we bought a new Server last year and switched to DPM2012 R2.

Now at the i stumbel in the "Tape no filling up" Problem with a HP 1/8 Library and an Ultrium 4 drive.
    (i Allready tried, bufferque size and storeport settings, and also a different SAS Controller)
    As the old Library is out of Support and we are in the process ob buying a new one, i could life with half filled tapes.

But the Problem is that i need to backup the Fileserver Data, and that it doesn'T fit on 8 half filled tapes.
    After all Tapes are Full the Backup job fails.

Is there a possibility to pause the job, if all Tapes are full so that i can load new Tapes into the library and then continue the job?

Anyone an Idea on this?

regards

Stefan

Thursday, April 17, 2014 11:23 AM

Answers

• Hi,

During a tape backup if a tape becomes full and there are no other tapes marked free, Free (contains data) or expired in the library, DPM will raise an alert to prompt for another free tape to continue backup.  The same is true during a restore, if a needed tape is not in the library an alert will be raised.  By Default, DPM It will wait for 1 hour before failing the job.

This prompting timeout can be configured by the registry entry “PromptingTimeOut” under “HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\1.0\Prompting”

PromptingTimeOut:REG_Dword:43200000  (decimal) = 12hrs

The Formula is   (#hrs * 1000 * 60 * 60)
    1HR =  1*1000*60*60 =  3600000  decimal

So for each hour to wait, multiply by 3600000.
    8hrs = 28800000  decimal

Restart the DPMRA service.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Sunday, April 20, 2014 12:57 AM

All replies

• Hi,

During a tape backup if a tape becomes full and there are no other tapes marked free, Free (contains data) or expired in the library, DPM will raise an alert to prompt for another free tape to continue backup.  The same is true during a restore, if a needed tape is not in the library an alert will be raised.  By Default, DPM It will wait for 1 hour before failing the job.

This prompting timeout can be configured by the registry entry “PromptingTimeOut” under “HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\1.0\Prompting”

PromptingTimeOut:REG_Dword:43200000  (decimal) = 12hrs

The Formula is   (#hrs * 1000 * 60 * 60)
    1HR =  1*1000*60*60 =  3600000  decimal

So for each hour to wait, multiply by 3600000.
    8hrs = 28800000  decimal

Restart the DPMRA service.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Sunday, April 20, 2014 12:57 AM
  • Hello,

Great, thank you for your Reply, i will implement it now.
    Just to make sure 2 Qeustions:

By default the Key "Prompting" under HKLM\....\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\1.0\
    does not exist right?

There is no limit on the PromptingTimeOut ??
    As we have only 4 Backup to Tapes jobs i set the waiting time to 259200000 (72 hours) this should work?

thank you

regards

Stefan

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 8:23 AM
  • Hi,

Correct, make the prompting key, then add the new PromptingTimeOut value under that.  As far as I know there is no limit.

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 2:08 PM