none
Appending tables / queries from a list stored in an excel workbook RRS feed

• Question

• Good evening

I think that this can be solved using #table but cannot get over the finish line. 

I need the user to be able to append an additional query to the master query each month without having to edit the master query.  I envisage storing the names of the queries to be appended in an excel table and the user just adds the name of the new query to the table each month.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Monday, October 23, 2017 10:10 PM

Answers

• Hey!

Sample Workbook

Check out the workbook sample and add some new queries. Once you add them, write their names on the table that looks like this:

QueryName
    Query1
    Miguel Escobar
    Adam S
    Panama
    Panama10

that has the name "Queries". Once that's done, head over to the "Sheet6" and just refresh the query. You'll notice that it just picks up the new query that the user entered.

Let me know if this is what you're looking for. One suggestion is that if your new queries are all coming from Excel files or some other type of flat files, it would be easier to store all of them inside of a folder and connect to that folder and just pick up new files that are being added to that folder instead of creating new queries.

Tuesday, October 24, 2017 3:39 AM

All replies

• Hey!

Sample Workbook

Check out the workbook sample and add some new queries. Once you add them, write their names on the table that looks like this:

QueryName
    Query1
    Miguel Escobar
    Adam S
    Panama
    Panama10

that has the name "Queries". Once that's done, head over to the "Sheet6" and just refresh the query. You'll notice that it just picks up the new query that the user entered.

Let me know if this is what you're looking for. One suggestion is that if your new queries are all coming from Excel files or some other type of flat files, it would be easier to store all of them inside of a folder and connect to that folder and just pick up new files that are being added to that folder instead of creating new queries.

Tuesday, October 24, 2017 3:39 AM
  • Hi

Your first response is exactly what I asked for thanks and I learnt some things from it.  However the second suggestion about connecting to a folder is even better and solves my issue perfectly.

Brilliant thanks.

Adam

Tuesday, October 24, 2017 8:17 AM