Windows 2016 Essentials - Hyper-V role ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I will install a 2016 server Essentials on a new physical server.

To simplify backup and DRP, I want to virtualize it.

My question is : is it possible to installer the Hyper-V role in  the version 2016 Essentials, et install in the hypervisor 1 VM of the same 2016 Essentials ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Thursday, November 23, 2017 2:05 PM

All replies

• The Windows Server Essentials licensing rights allow you to install an instance of Essentials on your physical server to run the Hyper-V role (with none of the other roles and features of the Essentials Experience installed), and a second instance of Essentials as a virtual machine (VM) on that same server with all the Essentials Experience roles and features.

However, the much better idea would be to install Hyper-V Server 2016 on baremetal and run WS 2016 Essentials inside a VM.

Thursday, November 23, 2017 5:15 PM
  • Hi, thanks for the answer.

However, to install Hyper-V Server 2016, I need to purchase another licence of Windows 2016 (Standard).

Or is there another (free) product containing only the hypervisor 2016 ?

Friday, November 24, 2017 6:55 AM
  • Hi,

>The server licensing rights have been expanded, allowing you to install an instance of Essentials on your physical server to run the Hyper-V role (with none of the other roles and features of the Essentials Experience installed), and a second instance of Essentials as a virtual machine (VM) on that same server with all the Essentials Experience roles and features.

Quote from blog “Understanding Licensing for Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials and the Windows Server Essentials Experience role”, it is also applied to Windows Server 2016 Essentials:
    https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/sbs/2013/09/03/understanding-licensing-for-windows-server-2012-r2-essentials-and-the-windows-server-essentials-experience-role/

Please reference section “Virtualize your environment” in below link to deploy Windows Server Essentials as a virtual machine:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server-essentials/install/install-and-configure-windows-server-essentials-or-windows-server-essentials-experience#BKMK_VirtualWSE

If there is no “Install as virtual instance” option during installation, you can manually install it via below steps:
    1. Install Windows Server Essentials on physical hardware, only install the system and do not run the Post-Deployment Configuration task.
    2. Manually install Hyper-V on physical server.
    3. Install Windows Server Essentials as Hyper-V guest and complete Post-Deployment Configuration task to complete Essentials installation/configuration.
    4. You can active Hyper-V guest OS via telephone(run “slui 4” to open telephone activation wizard), or, reference “Automatic Virtual Machine Activation”:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn303421(v=ws.11).aspx

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 24, 2017 9:51 AM
  • Hi, thanks for the answer.

The situation is quite clear for 2012 R2.

But... I'm not usre it is the same for 2016.

Friday, November 24, 2017 10:27 AM
  • Hi,

It is also applied to Windows Server 2016.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 27, 2017 1:40 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Wednesday, November 29, 2017 1:54 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update?

Please click “Mark as answer” if the reply is helpful. It would make this reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Friday, December 1, 2017 1:37 AM