Disabling show detail and drillthrough right-click options on reports? RRS feed

• Question

• Couple of quick questions....

I see that on a report by report basis we can assign users to edit, create, and read reports.....but is there a way to limit a user to only seeing "part" of a report as opposed to all of it?

For example, I have a finance report that uses an account dimension with 5 levels. The CFO can see all 5 levels but the Project Manager can only see the two bottom levels...

And my second question, can i disable/remove some of the right click menu options in a report. I don't want users to be able to drill to detail, or drill across to other dimensions. This is more for usability reasons so people don't get lost.

Thanks in advance for your help
    Friday, April 25, 2008 4:47 PM

Answers

• The avenue to explore is the OLAP security side of things which you already said you have a handle on. To my knowledge disabling specific items one-by-one from the right-click menu based on a user's identity is not supported.

Cheers,

Nick

Saturday, April 26, 2008 9:20 AM

All replies

• Update - I found some good writeups on the security portion however my question still remains with the right-click menu on reports.

How can I disable some of these options, i.e. Drill through, Drill-to, show details, etc.
    Friday, April 25, 2008 8:30 PM
  • Hi CIS Guy,

When the MDX code that drives an analytic chart or grid is either altered or manually entered in the designer Query tab the right-click menu functionality available to the user is greatly reduced. You will know that this has been achieved when the Browse button disappears from the report preview.

This thread may also be of use:

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421733&SiteID=17

Cheers,

Nick

Friday, April 25, 2008 8:49 PM
  • That thread tells me that it is possible to disable drilling up or down by writing custom MDX but what i really want to disable is unfortunately what your method preserves, drillthrough and show detail.

There must be some way to still allow for drilling up and down, but disabling the drillthrough and show detail features.
    Friday, April 25, 2008 9:25 PM
  • The avenue to explore is the OLAP security side of things which you already said you have a handle on. To my knowledge disabling specific items one-by-one from the right-click menu based on a user's identity is not supported.

Cheers,

Nick

Saturday, April 26, 2008 9:20 AM
  •  

I've been trying to ENABLE these two options in a specific situation. Perhaps my loss can be your gain.

What I've found is that if I have a date hierarchy in the background of a report, then configure a filter to report on a range of dates, for example month:month+1, the Show Details and Additional Actions menu options are disabled when right-clicking a cell value or a chart series.

In my case, I wish they were not disabled, but perhaps you can configure a filter in this manner to disable the menu options on your dashboards.

Monday, June 2, 2008 5:05 PM