vista home premium 32 bit black screen with pointer RRS feed

• Question

• windows vista home premium 32 bit

nvidia geforce 6200 256ddr agp

I'm getting black screen with pointer issue as well though it dosen't seem as severe as some of the

others I've read in the forum i was using roxio dvd copier, it errored out then went not responding

when i tried to close it, couldn't get it to close even using task manager, finaly just did a full shut down

System froze during shutdown left it over night with the spinning fruitloop working icon. Still spinning in the

morning. Crossed my fingers then hit the power switch in the back. When it boots now in normal mode

gets passed the knight rider boot animation to what should be the password login screen, but instead

i get the black screen with pointer motif. I can get into safe mode and get on the net. I downloaded

the most up to date graphics driver from nvidia, and installed. Still the same problem. I didn't set a restore

point, once i get this fixed i will, and because i downloaded and installed my current copy of vista from

the microsoft web site i don't have a boot disk to do the system restore.......

if anyone has had a similar

problem and fixed it pls respond      

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 6:44 PM

Answers

• Hi monohemispheral,

Thank you for the post.

Since you can enter Safe Mode, the issue is likely caused by a third-party program such as Roxio.

Based on the current situation, I suggest trying the following method to troubleshoot the issue.

Clean Boot in Safe Mode

=========

1. Click Start, type MSCONFIG in the Search Bar and Press Enter to start the System Configuration Utility.

Note: Please click Continue if the "User Account Control" window pops up.

2. Click the Services tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click Disable All (if it is not gray).

3. Click the Startup tab, click Disable All and click OK.

4. Restart the computer to Normal Mode.

Note: Clean Boot is a troubleshooting step. If some programs have been disabled during the troubleshooting, we can re-enable them later. If there appears System Configuration Utility , check the box of "Don't show this message" and then click OK.

Can we enter Normal Mode now?

If not, I suggest booting to Safe Mode and uninstalling Roxio.

What’s the result?

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Online Community Support

Friday, November 16, 2007 7:29 AM

All replies

• Hi monohemispheral,

Thank you for the post.

Since you can enter Safe Mode, the issue is likely caused by a third-party program such as Roxio.

Based on the current situation, I suggest trying the following method to troubleshoot the issue.

Clean Boot in Safe Mode

=========

1. Click Start, type MSCONFIG in the Search Bar and Press Enter to start the System Configuration Utility.

Note: Please click Continue if the "User Account Control" window pops up.

2. Click the Services tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click Disable All (if it is not gray).

3. Click the Startup tab, click Disable All and click OK.

4. Restart the computer to Normal Mode.

Note: Clean Boot is a troubleshooting step. If some programs have been disabled during the troubleshooting, we can re-enable them later. If there appears System Configuration Utility , check the box of "Don't show this message" and then click OK.

Can we enter Normal Mode now?

If not, I suggest booting to Safe Mode and uninstalling Roxio.

What’s the result?

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Online Community Support

Friday, November 16, 2007 7:29 AM
  • Hello, I have similar problem but in my case I cannot even go to Safe Mode neither on Command Prompt. When I press F8 and go to Safe Mode, same blank screen appears with the mouse pointer and nothing happens. I left it for about 30mins and nothing happend.When I went into recovery console it does not allow me to run CHKDSK /R command.

Please help!

Many Thanks

Saturday, November 24, 2007 9:50 AM