'The Application failed to start properly' after update to SP2 RRS feed

• Question

• HI I am having an issue with SP2 not starting the App-V service giving an error "The Service"Microsoft App-V Client" terminated with service-specific error: {Error in Application} The application failed to start properly (0x%lx). " This has only happened since upgrading from SP1 to SP2. This happens with the RDS client on a server 2008 r2 build. I have searched for a valid answer but so far I have not had any joy.

I have tried uninstalling all pre-requisites and reinstalling I have tried uninstalling the client and reinstalling I have tried removing some updates as suggested here but this is becoming more frustrating. Could anyone shed some light?

Tuesday, January 7, 2014 2:50 PM

Answers

• I just received confirmation that this is bug in App-V 5 SP2 and that it will be fixed in HotFix 1 that is scheduled to be released by end of January. Also they said that only 2 applications (one of which I reported) are affected. 
    Thursday, January 16, 2014 8:34 PM

All replies

• Hello,

How did you uninstall the client ?

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Tuesday, January 7, 2014 4:04 PM
  • Try to reinstall the App-V 5.0 SP2 client using the EXE installer (not using the MSI's).
    Thursday, January 9, 2014 10:18 PM
  • I have the same issue after SP2. There are several applications that I have problem starting at SP2 (One of them Tectia Client). Tried everything, from editing and saving with SP2 sequencer, sequencing it again with SP2, nothing works. Opened case with Microsoft Premier support and it's been over a month now and they have not come up with solution.
    Friday, January 10, 2014 4:18 AM
  • Hello,

Try to uninstall App-V, clear c:\programdata\appv and then install it again

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 7:41 PM
  • I just received confirmation that this is bug in App-V 5 SP2 and that it will be fixed in HotFix 1 that is scheduled to be released by end of January. Also they said that only 2 applications (one of which I reported) are affected. 
    Thursday, January 16, 2014 8:34 PM
  • Delete the following folder then restart the service:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\AppV

Saturday, January 18, 2014 1:00 AM
  • Here is Hotfix Package 1 for Microsoft Application Virtualization 5.0 Service Pack 2:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2921362/en-us

Saturday, February 1, 2014 12:30 PM