none
Backup to Tape job marks tape as offsite ready and moves to 2nd tape before 1st is full RRS feed

• Question

• I'm just getting our backups to tape set up, and running the tape backup jobs a lot for testing.  I set all of our PG's to backup to tape today, and have been watching the jobs go.  I noticed after a while, it started using a 2nd tape.  The first tape shows only 526,639.06MB  written to it, but is marked offsite ready.  These are LTO4 tapes, so I should be able to get 800GB uncompressed on tape, and probably more with compression.  Why would DPM have switched tapes and marked this offsite ready with only 526GB on the tape?

ETA: Colocation on tape is enabled, with 3 protection groups on that first tape.  All PG's are set up with the same retention time for long term backup to tape.

Monday, January 10, 2011 7:21 PM

Answers

• Hi Gia-Jin,

Can you provide tape library make / model number you are using.

Since the offsite ready is being set immediatly, this tells me that either the tape drive reported end of tape, or more likely the tape drive reported an I/O error and DPM treats that the same as and EOT.

See the recommendations in this post and see what the tape tools reveal:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dpmtapebackuprecovery/thread/e718e8e6-c0d6-496e-9407-ea1ccf51bb98 

The fix that has worked for other customers in the past is to add the BusyRetryCount DWord to the Storport key for the Tape device.

HP SUPPORT ARTICLE
    =================

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=110&prodSeriesId=254838&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=254838&objectID=c01655150

More info here  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932755/en-gb Although all the patches may already be on your Windows 2008 server check out the registry keys increase the BusyRetryCount to 250 Decimal.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum\SCSI\<DEVICEID>\<INSTANCE>\DeviceParameters\Storport\
    Value - BusyRetryCount
    Type - DWORD
    Data - 20 Decimal (default) <---- Change to 250dec (0XFA)

EXAMPLES for HP and IBM tape drives
    ====================================

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\SCSI\Sequential&Ven_HP&Prod_Ultrium_3-SCSI\6&1dd51454&0&000500\Device Parameters\Storport]
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\SCSI\Sequential&Ven_IBM&Prod_ULTRIUM-TD3\5&31cf2afa&0&000001\Device Parameters\Storport]

"BusyRetryCount"=dword:000000fa   (The Storport key does not exist by default)

You can also try adding this key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\Agent]
    "BufferQueueSize"=dword:00000002

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by NeighborGeek Wednesday, January 12, 2011 4:34 PM
    Monday, January 10, 2011 11:24 PM

All replies

• Unfortunately Microsoft DPM has abysmal tape management and support. I ran into this exact same problem where DPM would only write a few MB of data onto an LTO-1 tape, mark it as off-site ready, and move onto the next one. This resulted in all the tapes in our Dell PowerVault 122T being rendered useless. I had to go into the DPM database directly and manually alter table records in the DPM database to mark them as free and make them usable again because the PowerShell script Microsoft keeps pointing everyone to doesn't work at all. I also had to delete the entire protection group and recreate it from scratch to get DPM backing up to the tapes and using more than just 5-6MB per cartridge.

I'm really hoping we see a substantial improvement in tape management and support in future releases of DPM 2010. Right now it looks as though DPM 2010's tape backup capabilities were coded in as a last minute, half-thought-out feature. I've only had one successful backup to tape in two months now and it's looking like I'll have to go back to Symantec Backup Exec for my data backups.

Monday, January 10, 2011 10:26 PM
  • Hi Gia-Jin,

Can you provide tape library make / model number you are using.

Since the offsite ready is being set immediatly, this tells me that either the tape drive reported end of tape, or more likely the tape drive reported an I/O error and DPM treats that the same as and EOT.

See the recommendations in this post and see what the tape tools reveal:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dpmtapebackuprecovery/thread/e718e8e6-c0d6-496e-9407-ea1ccf51bb98 

The fix that has worked for other customers in the past is to add the BusyRetryCount DWord to the Storport key for the Tape device.

HP SUPPORT ARTICLE
    =================

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=110&prodSeriesId=254838&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=254838&objectID=c01655150

More info here  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932755/en-gb Although all the patches may already be on your Windows 2008 server check out the registry keys increase the BusyRetryCount to 250 Decimal.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum\SCSI\<DEVICEID>\<INSTANCE>\DeviceParameters\Storport\
    Value - BusyRetryCount
    Type - DWORD
    Data - 20 Decimal (default) <---- Change to 250dec (0XFA)

EXAMPLES for HP and IBM tape drives
    ====================================

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\SCSI\Sequential&Ven_HP&Prod_Ultrium_3-SCSI\6&1dd51454&0&000500\Device Parameters\Storport]
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\SCSI\Sequential&Ven_IBM&Prod_ULTRIUM-TD3\5&31cf2afa&0&000001\Device Parameters\Storport]

"BusyRetryCount"=dword:000000fa   (The Storport key does not exist by default)

You can also try adding this key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\Agent]
    "BufferQueueSize"=dword:00000002

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by NeighborGeek Wednesday, January 12, 2011 4:34 PM
    Monday, January 10, 2011 11:24 PM
  • That looks like the right track.  Running the same tests with Mytape, I'm getting the same results.  I'll add the registry key and see if that helps.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 11:08 PM
  • Hi Guys

I have the same problem with DPM 2012. I added the Key with no success.

Kind Regards

Röndi

Roendi

Thursday, August 2, 2012 7:07 AM