none
DPM 2012 R2 Backup to Tape Long Term - how do I turn off the copy RRS feed

• Question

• I use DPM 2012 R2, and want to remove the '1 copy' from my long term backup to tape selections.

I don't need the copy, so therefore it is superfluous aside from the fact that it fails every time.

Justin Harty Helpdesk Analyst A+, Security + Certified

Monday, May 12, 2014 2:42 PM

Answers

• Hi,

1 copy means a single copy, IE there is no such thing of having zero copies.

What is the reason for the backup job to fail ?

Do you have multiple backup goals configured but only have a single tape drive ?

DPM does tape copies of daily tapes to make the weekly tape, and copies of the weekly tape to make the monthly tapes.  You should see a warning when you go throught the PG Wizard if you only have a single tape drive.

When you go throught the PG Wizard for a PG that has two or more long-term recovery goals specified, and you only have a single tape drive, on the "Specifylibrary and tape details" page, you should see a yellow ! with "Please ensure that there are a minimum of two tape drives or two tape libraries for copy backups to succeed.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, May 12, 2014 8:53 PM

All replies

• Hi,

1 copy means a single copy, IE there is no such thing of having zero copies.

What is the reason for the backup job to fail ?

Do you have multiple backup goals configured but only have a single tape drive ?

DPM does tape copies of daily tapes to make the weekly tape, and copies of the weekly tape to make the monthly tapes.  You should see a warning when you go throught the PG Wizard if you only have a single tape drive.

When you go throught the PG Wizard for a PG that has two or more long-term recovery goals specified, and you only have a single tape drive, on the "Specifylibrary and tape details" page, you should see a yellow ! with "Please ensure that there are a minimum of two tape drives or two tape libraries for copy backups to succeed.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, May 12, 2014 8:53 PM
  • Currently I have short term, and long term (3 options for weekly, monthly and yearly) setup, all of the options are set to go off at the same time, so I don't duplicate backups and waste tapes. Also, the tape library only has 1 tape drive setup in it.

The backup itself appears to go through on any weekday, on the Full backup long term days, the initial backup to tape works, but an error stating 'data copy fails' occurs after the successfull backup.  so I will assume by the description you put up that it is attempting to do the secondary and tertiary goals of the long term, and therefore should be expected.

• Edited by Justin Harty Monday, May 12, 2014 9:44 PM for clarity
    Monday, May 12, 2014 9:41 PM
  • Ack, I fail on reading comprehension.

Ok, if I now read this right, I need 2 tape drives to use DPM for long term to tape storage... considering I use Tape as my short term as well.

*hair pull*

I was under the impression, as I completely ignored those warning messages, that the long term backups made thier own separate backups on the day that they were scheduled for.

Add to this, I actually had a Monthly backup Succeed where all my other weekly long term backups have failed, which threw me for a few.

Is there any functionality change with patches, fix with scripts or workarounds for this issue?

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 1:27 PM
  • Hi,

I agree the design is not optimal for single drive configurations.  There is no way around the requirement so the longer recovery goals tape copy jobs can run.

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 4:59 PM
  • I want to like this product, but the further into getting to know it, the less and less I can actually use it due to its narrowly defined parameters.  My Boss put it succinctly, "the more we have to use workarounds, and registry keys and change our own procedure to accommodate a software that is spose to work for us, the less we need it"

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 5:36 PM