How do I setup a DNS record to point to an internal IP with a port. RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to setup a DNS entry on my AD server to point to a web sever that I have setup to run certain services.  All of these services run through IIS on port 82 for example service A is internally 192.168.0.1:82/info/login and service B is 192.168.0.1:82/tech/login.  I am trying to give these services easy to use names like for example info.mycompany.com and tech.mycompany.com so that it is easy to access for the employees but I am obviously missing something because I have had no luck setting up anything.  My company is still using SBS 2003 as it's AD and DNS server so I am working with flint and bear skin here.

I am also trying to do the same thing for the external access to these services but where as I have the internal address for these services I have the external static IP.  When using the external IP with the port from outside the network everything works fine but I would like for it to to have a simple name identical to the internal names but accessible from the outside.  I frankly feel out of my depth on both of these issues and I would really appreciate any help that can be lent.  Thank you. 

Tuesday, January 6, 2015 9:20 PM

All replies

• You cant set a dns record (that would be used by a browser) to point to an ip and port, srv records can but that requires the application to look them up.

To have  info.mycompany.com  point to 192.168.0.1:82/info/login you would add a cname or A record to the dns pointing to that IP, then in IIS you would assign that dns name to the host headers. Also in IIS you would need to use URL rewrite plugin with this you would setup a redirect for that host header {HTTP_HOST} to point to that link.

Friday, January 16, 2015 10:09 PM