none
Litetouch Deployment Failed - 0x80004005 (Install OS Phase Error) RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to install OS Image onto hyperV VM....so far it was working fine...after 1 month I tried again and got this error...

anyone have any idea/solution... please advise.

Thanks!

Friday, June 27, 2014 10:50 AM

Answers

• Okay! 

So, I just upgraded the platform and things are good now. Windows 2012 R2 Image is created through MDT which is on Windows 2012 OS now with updated ADK and Image is getting installed on Hyper-V VMs without any issue...both on Gen1 and Gen2 VMs.

Thanks everyone for your efforts, suggestions, etc.

Thank you once again!

Wednesday, July 9, 2014 4:21 AM

All replies

• Check the bdd.log and/or smsts.log file for the details.

If you still need help, please copy these files to a public share like OneDrive, and share the link here.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Friday, June 27, 2014 7:01 PM
  • Somehow I am developing my understanding in reading and understanding logs. Meanwhile, could you please read them and advise.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=553E141AE6400B74!112&authkey=!ANuxhIaveFdIX5w&ithint=file%2c.log

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=553E141AE6400B74!111&authkey=!AHYwS1rRim2T_bU&ithint=file%2c.log

Wednesday, July 2, 2014 9:08 AM
  • did you check if you are applying OS to disk =0 and partition=2 ?

sumit

Wednesday, July 2, 2014 10:10 AM
  • I guess, Yes it is going to Partition 2..see bold text below from BDD.logs.

Any idea how to fix this shit! By the way, I have tried this image on VMware VM and it was fine throughout. However, When I do this on Hyper V VM - I run into this trouble.

<![LOG[  Console > DISKPART> ]LOG]!><time="01:34:41.000+000" date="07-02-2014" component="ZTIDiskpart" context="" type="1" thread="" file="ZTIDiskpart">
    <![LOG[  Console >   Partition ###  Type              Size     Offset]LOG]!><time="01:34:41.000+000" date="07-02-2014" component="ZTIDiskpart" context="" type="1" thread="" file="ZTIDiskpart">
    <![LOG[  Console >   -------------  ----------------  -------  -------]LOG]!><time="01:34:41.000+000" date="07-02-2014" component="ZTIDiskpart" context="" type="1" thread="" file="ZTIDiskpart">
    <![LOG[  Console >   Partition 1    Primary            499 MB  1024 KB]LOG]!><time="01:34:41.000+000" date="07-02-2014" component="ZTIDiskpart" context="" type="1" thread="" file="ZTIDiskpart">
    <![LOG[  Console > * Partition 2    Primary             64 GB   500 MB]LOG]!><time="01:34:41.000+000" date="07-02-2014" component="ZTIDiskpart" context="" type="1" thread="" file="ZTIDiskpart">
    <![LOG[  Console > DISKPART> ]LOG]!><time="01:34:41.000+000" date="07-02-2014" component="ZTIDiskpart" context="" type="1" thread="" file="ZTIDiskpart">
    <![LOG[  Console >   Volume ###  Ltr  Label        Fs     Type        Size     Status     Info]LOG]!><time="01:34:41.000+000" date="07-02-2014" component="ZTIDiskpart" context="" type="1" thread="" file="ZTIDiskpart">
    <![LOG[  Console >   ----------  ---  -----------  -----  ----------  -------  ---------  --------]LOG]!><time="01:34:41.000+000" date="07-02-2014" component="ZTIDiskpart" context="" type="1" thread="" file="ZTIDiskpart">
    <![LOG[  Console >   Volume 0     D   DVD_ROM      UDF    DVD-ROM     4149 MB  Healthy            ]LOG]!><time="01:34:41.000+000" date="07-02-2014" component="ZTIDiskpart" context="" type="1" thread="" file="ZTIDiskpart">
    <![LOG[  Console >   Volume 1     W   System       NTFS   Partition    499 MB  Healthy            ]LOG]!><time="01:34:41.000+000" date="07-02-2014" component="ZTIDiskpart" context="" type="1" thread="" file="ZTIDiskpart">
    <![LOG[  Console > * Volume 2     C   SYSTEM       NTFS   Partition     64 GB  Healthy            ]LOG]!><time="01:34:41.000+000" date="07-02-2014" component="ZTIDiskpart" context="" type="1" thread="" file="ZTIDiskpart">

Wednesday, July 2, 2014 10:42 AM
  • Can you share the screenshot of step where Operating system is applied in Task Sequence like one shared below.

sumit

Thursday, July 3, 2014 7:11 AM
  • Okay!, here you go. I also manage to figure out this now...Thanks for the hint!....... you want me to select "Logical Drive Letter" and Make to C: always.... is it ????

by the way, below is current screenshot of TS.

FYI... I dont know but seems like Run time Environment Error in SMSTS file...looks like ADK issue... this is not compatible with Hyper-V VMs...which are on uEFI instead of BIOS... I mean i think so...

any help would be appreciable!

Thanks!

Thursday, July 3, 2014 11:14 AM
  • Desi - I tried to look at your bdd.log & smsts.log file, however I think you included the wrong bdd.log file.

When MDT writes to the log file it primarally writes to the c:\minint folder, *however*, when performing operations on ZTIDiskPart.wsf, it will use x:\minint so it does not lock up the c:\ drive. In this case the log file appears to have come from the x:\minint folder, which does not show any errors from later on in the LTIApply step.

Can you please include the bdd.log file from c:\minint\... Thanks.

Thursday, July 3, 2014 6:31 PM
  • Hello All,

Thank you first of all for your efforts so far on this issue...I have managed to figure out as to what could be the issue..Let me brief it for you first...please read and let me know if my understanding is correct.

Our MDT Server is a VM having Windows 2008 R2 + WADK (Product version = 8.59.25584). On this, we created Windows 2012 ISO with some applications and patches with customization in task sequence (as usual).

This ISO works perfect on VMware's VM and does not work on Hyper-V's VMs - Our Hyper-V host is 2012 R2.

I further tried to dig into this and learnt that hyper-V's Gen1 VMs have traditional BIOS and Gen2 have what is called EFI instead of traditional BIOS. FYI - our VMware Vms are always set to BIOS than EFI - so I guess that's the reason our Image is successful on them all the time. 

Nevertheless, I created both VMs (Gen1 and Gen2) on Hyper-V and set them boot from CD/DVD respectively.

TESTING A:
    I have tried to install Windows 2012 Image (FULL image with app apps, patches, etc which works fine on VMWARE VM) on both of Gen1 and Gen2 one by one and what I saw that Hyper-V's VM went on reboot (Blue screen) all the time and Image could not be started ...I just could not see Task sequence option page..This happened on both Hyper-V's VMs.

TESTING B:
    I further just created just Windows 2012 ISO (no applications and no patches - just base ISO and no modifications in Task sequence) and tried to install it over both VMs one by one and it ran fine on both VMs.

TESTING C:
    I further tested a Windows 2012 R2 ISO (which I think is created on MDT server having Windows 2012 OS and have applications, patches, etc) on both VMs one by one and it also ran fine on both.

MY CONCLUSION:
    Hence, It appears to be an issue with environment and I think I need to either upgrade my ADK on Wndows 2008 R2 server which is our present MDT;  OR completely do a fresh setup MDT on Windows 2012 OS and then create an image for Hyper-V VMs.

Please suggest what do you think.

By the way, Keith - thanks for your time and effort that you put in while checking logs - I was not aware of this c:\minint\... path and next time I will keep in mind when I attach logs. Please could you see aforesaid situation and advise if this is really a ADK issue. I can not attach logs because I am not getting that issue anylonger-it just went to Blue screen all the time now...

Thanks In Advance everyone!

Friday, July 4, 2014 5:30 AM
  • For MDT, I would stick with gen 1 Hyper-V virtual machines. If you are getting Blue Screens when booting into the OS for the first time, then I would start by looking at the drivers you have installed into MDT and drivers installed into your images.

Friday, July 4, 2014 3:09 PM
  • Okay! 

So, I just upgraded the platform and things are good now. Windows 2012 R2 Image is created through MDT which is on Windows 2012 OS now with updated ADK and Image is getting installed on Hyper-V VMs without any issue...both on Gen1 and Gen2 VMs.

Thanks everyone for your efforts, suggestions, etc.

Thank you once again!

Wednesday, July 9, 2014 4:21 AM