none
Resource '$(string.VerMgmtAuditModeEnable)' referenced in attribute displayName could not be found

Question

• Howdy,

I have two 2012 R2 Domain Controllers on my domain.  Any time I try to use Group Policy to set things in the Administrative Templates section I got an error:

Resource '$(string.VerMgmtAuditModeEnable)' referenced in attribute displayName could not be found. File C:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions\inetres.admx, line 1495, column 249

I've seen some things online about replacing the inetres.admx file but I find it strange that I'd get the same error on both domain controllers.  Does anyone know what else might be causing this or if I should go ahead with trying to replace the file on both servers?

Thanks,

Wednesday, May 4, 2016 8:43 PM

Answers

• Just got done getting these machines updated and everything seems much happier now.

Thanks.

• Proposed as answer by DonPick Friday, May 6, 2016 11:32 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jay GuModerator Monday, May 16, 2016 11:05 AM
    Friday, May 6, 2016 4:32 PM

All replies

• Howdy,

I have two 2012 R2 Domain Controllers on my domain.  Any time I try to use Group Policy to set things in the Administrative Templates section I got an error:

Resource '$(string.VerMgmtAuditModeEnable)' referenced in attribute displayName could not be found. File C:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions\inetres.admx, line 1495, column 249

I've seen some things online about replacing the inetres.admx file but I find it strange that I'd get the same error on both domain controllers.  Does anyone know what else might be causing this or if I should go ahead with trying to replace the file on both servers?

Thanks,

this type of error occurs when the ADMX file and its corresponding ADML file are differing versions; there is a reference within the ADMX and no corresponding reference within the ADML file.

This can happen if one of the two files isn't updated correctly e.g. the ADMX is updated but not the ADML.

you should download the latest inetres template files and deploy those to your affected machines.

from memory there was a defective IE11 update, or perhaps a Windows update, which created this problem.

there are quite a few discussions about this, heres one of them:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/426340dd-2c70-483d-87c1-bf9255aa0442/local-group-policy-editor-error?forum=w8itprogeneral

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

Wednesday, May 4, 2016 9:27 PM
  • One of the things we realized is that these machines haven' been installing Windows Updates for a while now so they are quite a bit behind.  Do you think getting those up to date might fix the problem?  I'll probably try that first but can play around with the files afterward if I need to.

Thanks.

Thursday, May 5, 2016 12:54 AM
  • One of the things we realized is that these machines haven' been installing Windows Updates for a while now so they are quite a bit behind.  Do you think getting those up to date might fix the problem?  I'll probably try that first but can play around with the files afterward if I need to.

Thanks.

I've noticed that recent IE cumulative update packages seem to be shipping the template files, so, if you get the server up-to-date with update packages, that may well resolve it for you

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

Friday, May 6, 2016 1:31 AM
  • Just got done getting these machines updated and everything seems much happier now.

Thanks.

• Proposed as answer by DonPick Friday, May 6, 2016 11:32 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jay GuModerator Monday, May 16, 2016 11:05 AM
    Friday, May 6, 2016 4:32 PM
  • Hi,

I am glad to hear that your problem has been resolved.

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 16, 2016 11:06 AM