MDAC 2.8 won't install on my 64 bit vista system RRS feed

• Question

• I am issues installing certain software. The software I keep trying to install keeps telling me that I am missing MDAC 2.8 serivce pack 1, but from what i have seen with this service pack it is not meant for Vista(64bit). I need some help crossing this barrier. Any ideas?
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 2:32 PM

Answers

• Correct the name in the above post. MDAC changes its name to WDAC - Windows Data Access Components (Windows DAC) 6.0 since Vista and it is included in Windows Vista. There is no redistributable version anymore. You don't need to, and actually you cannot install the earlier redistributed version on web in Vista.
    Cammie - MSFT
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 2:19 AM

All replies

• There is no MDAC installation for Vista.
    For Vista this is built into the OS and will by updated by OS updates. (It is also renamed to WDAC from now on).
    You should have, for example, msado15.dll here:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\ado

More info here:
    "Data Access Technologies Road Map"
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms810810.aspx

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 2:43 PM
  • Correct the name in the above post. MDAC changes its name to WDAC - Windows Data Access Components (Windows DAC) 6.0 since Vista and it is included in Windows Vista. There is no redistributable version anymore. You don't need to, and actually you cannot install the earlier redistributed version on web in Vista.
    Cammie - MSFT
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 2:19 AM
  • I have written a .NET app that has MDAC 2.8 as one of its dependencies, along with a few other 32-bit only library dependencies.  In order to get my application to run on a 64-bit OS (in this case Vista), I am compiling my application to target the x86 platform.

If the OS is 64-bit, wouldn't that mean that WDAC is also 64-bit?  And won't that be a problem for my x86-targeted application?  I'm currently getting some DLL loading exceptions and wondering if this is the cause.

Thanks in advance.
    Friday, October 9, 2009 5:16 PM