none
Using Shell Move-CSUser to Migrate User Lync 2010 pool to Lync 2013 pool Fails

Question

• Using Lync Control Panel I can succussfully migrate a user from Lync 2010 pool to/from Lync 2013 pool.  Attempting to use the move-csuser cmdlet no such luck.  Both are being run on a Front End server with same user admin account so nothing different at that level. I've used all suggestions that I could find that relate to what I am seeing.  I have the highest Lync admin rights you can have so that should not be the reason and if it were then I wouldn't be able to do either way.

The commands I have used even qualified the domain controller as follows and no matter what I try it spits back an error.

Move-CsUser -Identity "sip:user@sipname.ca" -Target FQDN -DomainController xxx.domain.com

The error is Move-CSUser: Failed while updating destination pool.  At line:1 char:1  InvalidOperation  FullyQualifiedErrorID:  MoveError

Few other details but this is the main error.  It gives no indication of why.  I try a dummy user and the error comes back as i expect so the user is correct, I try a dummy Targe FQDN and the error again complains about that so I know the detail is correct.  I've run Get-CSUser to make sure name right, I've run Get-CSPool to verify I see it fine on the server.

I'm stumped.  Yes we can do via the Control Panel but for bulk this is inefficient and we are just beginning our migration and we have 10,000+ users to move and would like to do in chunks via PowerShell and capture a log to look at afterwards.

Anyone have any ideas?

Friday, March 07, 2014 6:31 PM

Answers

• Oups..

Made a mistake....

Take a look here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg398528.aspx

"Who can run this cmdlet: By default, members of the following groups are authorized to run the Move-CsUser cmdlet locally: RTCUniversalUserAdmins"

So even if you are CSadminstrators your account needs to be in  RTCUniversalUserAdmins...not CSUseradministrators

Sorry about that

If a post is helpful, please take a second to hit the green arrow on the left, or mark as answer, thanks.

Jean-Philippe Breton | Senior Microsoft Consultant | MCTS, MCITP, MCT, Lync MVP

Monday, March 10, 2014 1:30 PM
  • Wow, if I hadn't seen this for myself I would not have believed this would work.

I was already a member of CSAdministrator and RTCUniversalServerAdmins but on your suggestion I added myself to the RTCUniversalUserAdmins group and it actually works now.  This seems redundant to me and the groups/roles/rights is a bit baffling.   I have now added the ServerAdmin group as a member of the UserAdmin group to make it easier.

So odd to have it work in Control Panel and not via Shell.

Thanks!

• Marked as answer by turnercl Monday, March 10, 2014 5:49 PM
    Monday, March 10, 2014 2:50 PM

All replies

• Hi Turnecl,

Add your accout into the CsUserAdministrator group.

It is a requirement when moving user thru powershell.

Cheers

If a post is helpful, please take a second to hit the green arrow on the left, or mark as answer, thanks.

Friday, March 07, 2014 7:33 PM
  • I am a member of the Admistrator group at the highest level which would inherantly have the rights you suggest so that makes no sense.  Also, why would I be able to move in console and not in shell?

Regardless, to amuse myself I added myself to this group too and it made no difference in the results.  Same error.

Monday, March 10, 2014 12:16 PM
  • Oups..

Made a mistake....

Take a look here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg398528.aspx

"Who can run this cmdlet: By default, members of the following groups are authorized to run the Move-CsUser cmdlet locally: RTCUniversalUserAdmins"

So even if you are CSadminstrators your account needs to be in  RTCUniversalUserAdmins...not CSUseradministrators

Sorry about that

Monday, March 10, 2014 1:30 PM
  • Wow, if I hadn't seen this for myself I would not have believed this would work.

I was already a member of CSAdministrator and RTCUniversalServerAdmins but on your suggestion I added myself to the RTCUniversalUserAdmins group and it actually works now.  This seems redundant to me and the groups/roles/rights is a bit baffling.   I have now added the ServerAdmin group as a member of the UserAdmin group to make it easier.

So odd to have it work in Control Panel and not via Shell.

Thanks!

• Marked as answer by turnercl Monday, March 10, 2014 5:49 PM
    Monday, March 10, 2014 2:50 PM
  • A lot of the Powershell commands are like this, for example you can Enable a user using Lync Control Panel if you belong to CSAdministrator or CSUserAdministrator, but it also doesn't work through Powershell unless you belong to RTCUniversalUserAdmins.

If this helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer" | Blog www.lynced.com.au | Twitter @imlynced

Monday, March 10, 2014 3:22 PM
  • Definitely lesson learned for future.
    Monday, March 10, 2014 6:10 PM
  • Have you try it this way?

Move-Csuser -id olutest -Target lyncpool2013.domain.com

Olutest is the user, thats what you have in front of  @sipdomain.com

Let me know if this helps.

• Proposed as answer by dareadepoju Monday, March 10, 2014 7:44 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by dareadepoju Monday, March 10, 2014 7:45 PM
    • Proposed as answer by dareadepoju Monday, March 10, 2014 7:48 PM
    Monday, March 10, 2014 7:44 PM
  • The account performing the operation move-CSUser  still need RTCUniversalUserAdmins 

Monday, March 10, 2014 7:45 PM