Cloning a HD with Steadystate fails. RRS feed

• Question

• When I try and clone a system that has been freshly installed and setup with steady state on the clone process fails with errors about the partition being corrupt... this is only after steady state is setup.

I would rather not go around many systems installing steady state one by one, but all attempts to clone a drive with it installed fails with the same problem.
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 1:59 PM

Answers

• did you clone it after you started the windows disk protection?  that creates a huge file on the hard drive that defragmentor always says need to be defragged eventhough the picture of it looks fine.

We ghost all of our steady state sytems.. but ghost them before we lock down the hard drive protection.

ON your master image you could try to run check disk before you image them again and defrag it a bunch of times.....

Hope that kinda helps?

John Schlosser
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Friday, April 17, 2009 2:36 AM
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 2:43 PM
  • I remember reading some thread here that you should have all SS restrictions disabled before cloning but am not 100% sure. I was able to create the master image with SS' restrictions that I use enabled with no issues after cloning. I don't use WDP, instead I use Deep Freeze, and haven't had any issues cloning. Of course this scenario forces you to go around and re-enable all of the restrictions.
    Jealousy is not proof of love, nor proof of emotional immaturity
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 1:47 PM

All replies

• did you clone it after you started the windows disk protection?  that creates a huge file on the hard drive that defragmentor always says need to be defragged eventhough the picture of it looks fine.

We ghost all of our steady state sytems.. but ghost them before we lock down the hard drive protection.

ON your master image you could try to run check disk before you image them again and defrag it a bunch of times.....

Hope that kinda helps?

John Schlosser
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 2:43 PM
  • I remember reading some thread here that you should have all SS restrictions disabled before cloning but am not 100% sure. I was able to create the master image with SS' restrictions that I use enabled with no issues after cloning. I don't use WDP, instead I use Deep Freeze, and haven't had any issues cloning. Of course this scenario forces you to go around and re-enable all of the restrictions.
    Jealousy is not proof of love, nor proof of emotional immaturity
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 1:47 PM