none
How does DPM decide which disk to put a replica on? Is there any way I can choose when adding a new data source? RRS feed

• Question

• I am running Windows Server 2008 R2 w/SP1 and SCDPM 2012 - recently upgraded.  I have two disks that DPM can use to store backup data onto.  When I add a new server into a protection group, DPM seems to use a kind of round-robin approach to where it places data, but I can't tell for sure.  I was really hoping DPM 2012 would give me the ability to choose where to place the data, but I don't see that as an option.   Does anyone know how DPM decides which disk to put a replica on?  Or, is there a way to choose which disk when modifying the protection group? 

Thanks.

KW

• Edited by sdhondaman Friday, June 22, 2012 8:05 PM privacy
    Friday, June 22, 2012 8:05 PM

Answers

• Hi,

There are a number of factors that are considered when data sources are added to protection.  Number of disks in the storage pool, amount of free space on each disk, the size of the replica / recovery point volumes required, co-location, etc. and DPM does not let you choose the disk, only the size of the volumes.  The only way to control which disks are used would be to use pre-made "custom volumes".  If you choose custom volumes, then you need to manage their growth manually, as autogrow is not supported when using custom volumes. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Saturday, June 23, 2012 8:01 PM

All replies

• Hi,

There are a number of factors that are considered when data sources are added to protection.  Number of disks in the storage pool, amount of free space on each disk, the size of the replica / recovery point volumes required, co-location, etc. and DPM does not let you choose the disk, only the size of the volumes.  The only way to control which disks are used would be to use pre-made "custom volumes".  If you choose custom volumes, then you need to manage their growth manually, as autogrow is not supported when using custom volumes. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Saturday, June 23, 2012 8:01 PM
  • Thanks for the answer.  If there is some way to submit this as an enhancement request, please let me know.

Keith Weller

Monday, June 25, 2012 1:49 PM