Slow, Slow, Slow, Awkward and Slow! RRS feed

• General discussion

• I'm getting a "Stop running this script" popup every few seconds (granted runing IE8 - no choice pal).  I find the new interface awkward, especially if you're a thread browser.  Some consideration should be made for small screens and slow connections.  I'd don't need a lot of images, avatars (blue or otherwise), I just want to read the materal, get an answer and get the heck out of dodge.

Thanks

B.

Friday, August 16, 2013 11:36 AM

All replies

• I'm getting a "Stop running this script" popup every few seconds (granted runing IE8 - no choice pal).  I find the new interface awkward, especially if you're a thread browser.  Some consideration should be made for small screens and slow connections.  I'd don't need a lot of images, avatars (blue or otherwise), I just want to read the materal, get an answer and get the heck out of dodge.

Have you thought of running FireFox or Chrome?

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP

Friday, August 16, 2013 12:15 PM
  • I'm getting a "Stop running this script" popup every few seconds (granted runing IE8 - no choice pal).

There is a Fixit/reghack for that.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/175500

(Microsoft search for
        "stop running this script" site:support.microsoft.com

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, August 16, 2013 1:55 PM
  • Suppressing the message fixes nothing, Robert.

Surely it changes the reported symptom:

<quote>

popup every few seconds

</quote>

The screen will still be frozen for a minute or longer after clicking a checkbox.

I don't use IE8 any more and can't remember if it has a Profiler?  If so, it would show where the problem is.  Perhaps an even worse instance of poor algorithm choice than the one that you previously noted in IE10?  Otherwise I would probably use ProcMon to try to get a handle on what is going on, e.g. using the Profile event and Count feature might help.  Also, when I was using IE8, I once worked around a symptom like this (a never ending loop started by a script) by activating the Active Scripting: Prompt feature.  Evidently there was some kind of race condition that more often caused a problem than did something useful.  Another advantage of using the Prompt option is that you may be able to find a path of Yes or No replies which avoids the problem symptom while still enabling useful functionality (hopefully with less delay).  That option is obviously more applicable in a non-terminating scenario like the one I alluded to than this one. 

But even with IE11 there are big pages that take a long time rendering so then what I do is launch them in a background tab and do something else first.  In that case, avoiding this "popup" would be a satisfactory solution, regardless of how inefficient the algorithms were, provided they always terminated.

Robert
    ---

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, August 17, 2013 2:43 PM
  • I just want to read the material

Perhaps you should try using the RSS view then?  That avoids most of the scripting problems, would show you all the source but unfortunately, be rather sparse about post details, unless people were using signatures or otherwise identifying their message context and author in the body (like we used to do in newsgroups).

For your convenience here is a link to this thread in that view:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/suggest/thread/80a86653-b5a2-4df1-a14a-86c5db6bf7da?outputAs=rss

Note that the new design makes it difficult for us to simply derive such a link from the link that you are probably seeing or could extract from a message list.   E.g. you need to know the forum name (not its description) in order to do a successful conversion.  Otherwise it is as simple as it used to be: simply tack on  ?outputAs=rss  to a thread URL.

I was trying to imagine how you would find the proper RSS link in the message to use without having to open its web view first (e.g. to avoid manual derivation of it) and found a better workaround:  add this host to your Restricted Sites list or simply slide the Internet security level to High!  That has the effect of automatically disabling Active Scripting so avoids all of the time consuming scripts while still allowing the messages to be rendered more or less normally.  And if you do want to find out whose post you are reading but there are insufficient clues for you in the message body you could resort to using the Developer Tools Find tool (F12, Ctrl-b) to expose its UserInfo.

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, August 17, 2013 6:22 PM