One of my drives disappeared! HELP!!! RRS feed

• Question

•  

My DVD drive was working great til I did a Windows Vista update to SP1. The next morning I went to use the drive and it could not be seen by the program that I was using. I checked "My Computer" and the drive was completely gone.

I shut down and restarted the computer and went into the BIOS to see it the motherboard saw the drive and it did. I restarted the computer and checked but Windows and it did not see it. I checked the device manager and it did show there with an exclamation mark.

The Error that shows for the drive is: Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

I have tried removing the drive and reloading it but the same thing happened. I thought that it could be the drive so I went and bought a new one (different make) and the same problem exists.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? Please Help!

Thank you,

Charles

Friday, January 30, 2009 6:34 PM

Answers

•  

Hi Charles,

Thank you for posting.

Regarding this issue, I will share to the following Knowledge Base with you:

The CD drive or the DVD drive does not work as expected on a computer that you upgraded to Windows Vista:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461/en-us

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 6:43 AM