Refershing Active alerts RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have implemented a management pack which brings alerts from some servers and store them into a temporary cache and then via Rule, I populate them into the Active alert view. In case of any new alert, it gets populated on the alert pane but those alerts which are not in the cache file (i periodically refresh the file) are still appear in the alert view and I have to manually close them. Is this normal?

I want to automatically remove them from the alert view (also I do not want to implement any separate notification channel). Is something to be done in management pack?
    Regards, Ravi
    Tuesday, November 1, 2011 1:30 PM

Answers

•  

Hi,

Thank you for your update.

I would like to share the following with you for your reference:

Set Resolution State Automatic

http://contoso.se/blog/?p=284

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

How grooming and auto-resolution work in the OpsMgr 2007 Operational database

http://blogs.technet.com/b/kevinholman/archive/2007/12/13/how-grooming-and-auto-resolution-work-in-the-opsmgr-2007-operational-database.aspx

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Ravi_Raj Monday, November 7, 2011 5:28 AM
    Friday, November 4, 2011 9:02 AM
  • Suppose any alert is displayed on SCOM from the cache, and after some point later that alert get resolved and its no longer in that file, so SCOM should also flushes that alert from active alert (I guess). But its not happening. The alerts are always populated on the screen and never goes away. How can I overcome this defect(if its a defect)?

Alerts which are generated by rules will never go away automatically. This is nature of such alerts. By design. Not defect.

you have option to close them from external script as Nickolas pointed or implement closing logic in your alerting rule.

Second option requires SCOM SDK knowledge.

Friday, November 4, 2011 9:46 AM

All replies

•  

Hi,

Would you please let us know more details about this management pack?

If you want to resolve specific alerts, you can try the following methods:

Resolve all open alerts generated by specific Agent

http://blogs.technet.com/b/jonathanalmquist/archive/2009/03/19/resolve-all-open-alerts-generated-by-specific-agent.aspx

Using powershell script in a rule to close all the alerts

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/operationsmanagermgmtpacks/thread/eb97da77-b817-43e1-a279-e5336d78d70e

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, November 3, 2011 3:17 AM
  • The details about the management pack - can you be please more specific so that I can tell you precisely.

As far as I can, I avoid using any kind of external script for closing the alerts.

The behavior of my management pack works on XML polling. I logon to the servers and gather all the data at once and store it in a cache file. Now the rules run a VBscript and parse those data and populate it on the console. Everytime data is fetched and stored into the cache(same happens to the alerts cache too).

Suppose any alert is displayed on SCOM from the cache, and after some point later that alert get resolved and its no longer in that file, so SCOM should also flushes that alert from active alert (I guess). But its not happening. The alerts are always populated on the screen and never goes away. How can I overcome this defect(if its a defect)?

Regards, Ravi
    Thursday, November 3, 2011 4:59 AM
  •  

Hi,

Thank you for your update.

I would like to share the following with you for your reference:

Set Resolution State Automatic

http://contoso.se/blog/?p=284

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

How grooming and auto-resolution work in the OpsMgr 2007 Operational database

http://blogs.technet.com/b/kevinholman/archive/2007/12/13/how-grooming-and-auto-resolution-work-in-the-opsmgr-2007-operational-database.aspx

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Friday, November 4, 2011 9:02 AM
  • Suppose any alert is displayed on SCOM from the cache, and after some point later that alert get resolved and its no longer in that file, so SCOM should also flushes that alert from active alert (I guess). But its not happening. The alerts are always populated on the screen and never goes away. How can I overcome this defect(if its a defect)?

Alerts which are generated by rules will never go away automatically. This is nature of such alerts. By design. Not defect.

you have option to close them from external script as Nickolas pointed or implement closing logic in your alerting rule.

Second option requires SCOM SDK knowledge.

Friday, November 4, 2011 9:46 AM