Folder Redirection onto a NAS RRS feed

• Question

• My Setup

IBM X3500 Windows 2003 R2 64bit Std Server

Vista Business Machine

Windows XP Pro Machine

I've set-up the server as a domain controller and set-up some users e.g. neilh.  also in group policy set-up folder redirection onto a share on a Acer EasyStore 1TB NAS.

I've set-up the nas for domain authentication and the users are there.  Also set-up some security groups on the domain controller e.g. IT.  So i created a Share called Home-IT and assigned the gorup IT Read and Write access.

Logged into the XP Pro machine and when i click "My Docs" it's the folder on the nas \\10.50.50.6\Home-IT\neilh\My Documents. i can create folder and documents fine. 

But when i log into the Vista machine with the user neilh i get the following error and folder redirection doesn't work:-

Failed to apply policy and redirect folder "Desktop" to "\\10.50.50.6\Home-IT\neilh\Desktop".

Redirection options=9219.

The following error occurred: "Can not create folder "\\10.50.50.6\Home-IT\neilh\Desktop"".

Error details: "This security ID may not be assigned as the owner of this object.

".

But yet it works fine in XP Pro.

Any ideas?

Thursday, November 29, 2007 12:43 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I would suggest that go to group policy properties on DC: folder redirection gpo\user configuration\windows settings\folder redirection\my documents ->properties and unchecked "grant the user exclusive rights to my documents" .

This tells folder redirection not to do the ownership check and assume the permissions are OK

After that please re-login.It may took time for 5 minutes as it was synchronizing with the server.

By the way, the following article may helpful, for your reference:

User Profiles and Folder Redirection FAQ
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/en-us/management/manage_faq.mspx

I hope it helps.
    -----------------------------
    Sincerely,
    Guozhen Wang
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Monday, December 3, 2007 10:37 AM