exchange 2010 database backup RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

we use exchange 2010 on windows 2008R2 vm. I was doing backups with native windows backup utility, but now I receive blue sceens with Netio.sys driver error. So is there any diference if I just copy exchange DB with LOGS to alternative location just for disaster recovery? or jusd this be done by native windows backup?

I am thinking about writing a script an schedule it. Can I go this way?

thanks

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 5:55 PM

Answers

• and from disaster recovery point? db and logs wont be be used after stoping services. It is better to stop services or unmount DB? I have problem with backups here

You dont need to stop the Services, dismounting the store will allow you to copy the database and logs to another location.

If you need to know which logs are safe to delete from the production transaction log drive in case you need to free space and do not have circular logging enabled.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/240145  ( still applies to 2010)

• Proposed as answer by wendy_liu Thursday, July 26, 2012 2:33 AM
    • Marked as answer by wendy_liu Monday, July 30, 2012 1:36 AM
    Wednesday, July 18, 2012 11:21 AM

All replies

• You could, but that would mean taking the store offline so you could copy the files and you would need to also use eseutil to verify which logs you could remove.

Better to troubleshoot the bluescreens.

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 6:02 PM
  • why i cant just copy paste folder with db and logs as they are on separate volume?

• Edited by jori5 Tuesday, July 17, 2012 6:09 PM
    Tuesday, July 17, 2012 6:09 PM
  • You can but not while the store is mounted. Those files are in use, and its not the recommended way to backup of course.

• Proposed as answer by wendy_liu Wednesday, July 18, 2012 9:39 AM
    Tuesday, July 17, 2012 6:13 PM
  • It is recommended to troubleshoot bluescreen error or use any exchange aware application to take backups. However, if you have any constraint and if you have a DAG copy then you cann write a script to suspend the DBcopy and copy/paste the folder while the store is still mounted.

- Sarvesh Goel - Enterprise Messaging Administrator (Exchange 2010)

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 6:34 PM
  • It is recommended to troubleshoot bluescreen error or use any exchange aware application to take backups. However, if you have any constraint and if you have a DAG copy then you cann write a script to suspend the DBcopy and copy/paste the folder while the store is still mounted.

He still has to run eseutil to see which logs are not needed, remove those or enable circular logging. Better to get the backups working and/or not do any backups at all if there are at least 4 copies of the store replicated.
    Tuesday, July 17, 2012 6:50 PM
  • no, I dont want to unmount production servers DB. So if just drag and drop exchange folder with db and logs in it, I wond be able to restore any data from them?

not sure waht is DAG copy and that it means "suspend the DBcopy"

thank you for explanation

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 7:10 PM
  • You can not drag and drop the .edb and any open log file while the store is mounted. They are "in use" and it wont work.

It sounds as if you are not replicating databases. THis is a single server? For your Backup Issue, you may want to ask in the Windows Forums

Backup – Windows and Windows Server

• Proposed as answer by Martina_Miskovic Tuesday, July 17, 2012 7:56 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by jori5 Wednesday, July 18, 2012 8:00 AM
    Tuesday, July 17, 2012 7:28 PM
  • thank you, I will
    Tuesday, July 17, 2012 7:38 PM
  • I have one more question, is it posible to stop all Exchange services and make copy/paste of DB and LOG files?
    • Edited by jori5 Wednesday, July 18, 2012 8:01 AM
    Wednesday, July 18, 2012 8:01 AM
  • Just from possibility point: Yes!!

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 8:15 AM
  • and from disaster recovery point? db and logs wont be be used after stoping services. It is better to stop services or unmount DB? I have problem with backups here
    • Edited by jori5 Wednesday, July 18, 2012 9:14 AM
    Wednesday, July 18, 2012 9:14 AM

You dont need to stop the Services, dismounting the store will allow you to copy the database and logs to another location.

If you need to know which logs are safe to delete from the production transaction log drive in case you need to free space and do not have circular logging enabled.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/240145  ( still applies to 2010)

• Proposed as answer by wendy_liu Thursday, July 26, 2012 2:33 AM
    • Marked as answer by wendy_liu Monday, July 30, 2012 1:36 AM
    Wednesday, July 18, 2012 11:21 AM