none
Default settings RRS feed

• Question

• Word 2010

With EVERY new document, I have to change the font to 12pt, change line spacing to 1.0, get rid of the 10pt space after a paragraph, and type a new letterhead.

Back in Word 1995 or thereabouts and up through the early 2000's we could have default settings for this stuff and we could open new from template.

Where have the psychotic maniacs in Redmond hidden these controls? And how do they benefit from hiding these controls? Does it make them feel good to know people have to fight this trash? Do they beat their spouse and children too? Seems like the perfecf fit.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 10:02 AM

Answers

• One way to change the default font is as follows: In a new, blank document, press Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S to display the Styles pane. Click the Manage Styles button. In the dialog box, click the Set Defaults tab. Make the desired changes. Before you close the dialog box, select "New documents based on this template." Later, if/when you are prompted to save the Normal template, choose to do so.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 7:12 PM

All replies

• One way to change the default font is as follows: In a new, blank document, press Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S to display the Styles pane. Click the Manage Styles button. In the dialog box, click the Set Defaults tab. Make the desired changes. Before you close the dialog box, select "New documents based on this template." Later, if/when you are prompted to save the Normal template, choose to do so.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 7:12 PM
  • Thank you Stephan. I thought "Styles" was fluff for 12 year old girls to put daisy's on the background and for grandma to say "hey, that's cute"

I hate Microsoft more and more as they keep changing what was never broken to begin with.

I'm quite upset to find "social networking" in my Office 2010 Outlook. Imagine the firestorm of hacking and fraud that invites.

Friday, January 21, 2011 5:02 AM
  • Styles have been a feature of Microsoft Word since version 1.0 for DOS. Admittedly, the advent of WYSIWYG resulted in their being pushed to the background for a period, but now, for very good reasons that have returned to the fore.

As for the Social Connector, you can disable or remove it via File>Options>Add-ins>Manage: COM Add-ins>Go.

Hope this helps.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP,
    dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Posted via the Community Bridge

"hmmmm..... _" wrote in message news:cbcaf280-934f-4d0b-acde-5925793718ee@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Thank you Stephan. I thought "Styles" was fluff for 12 year old girls to put daisy's on the background and for grandma to say "hey, that's cute"

I hate Microsoft more and more as they keep changing what was never broken to begin with.

I'm quite upset to find "social networking" in my Office 2010 Outlook. Imagine the firestorm of hacking and fraud that invites.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Friday, January 21, 2011 6:59 AM