none
[PS2013] - Locked vs Publish RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I would like to know the main difference between Locked column found in PWA 2013 and the Publish column in Project Professional 2013. It seems to serve the same purpose of preventing updates on the task that is locked or not published.

Regards

Woon Woon, Gan

Monday, May 6, 2013 5:56 AM

All replies

• Publish Column:

Publish Filed is flag filed which has two value YES and NO.

The Publish field may be utilized to manage the tasks that are pushed to team members for execution. For example, a project manager on an active project may learn of additional project scope and begin building out the details in the schedule. To prevent publishing of these tasks that are not fully estimated, the project manager can set Publish = No for the selected tasks. Later, when the task details have been fully defined, changing Publish to Yes will makes those tasks visible in team members’ task lists.

Locked  Column :

The primary purpose of the Locked feature is to prevent resources from charging additional work hours to project tasks.

The project manager may select individual project tasks, or all project tasks by clicking on the check boxes next to the task name in the Lock column. The tasks become closed when the project manager clicks Publish

Hope this helps...

kirtesh

Monday, May 6, 2013 6:57 AM
  • Hi Kirtesh

Thanks for your clarification. Actually by setting the Publish flag from Yes to No does about the same function as setting the Locked column to Yes. It basically removed the task from the My Task list and the timesheet thus preventing resources to charge additional work hours.

One point to note that the locked column can only be edited from project view in PWA (via dropdown) which is not so convenient if you need to lock multiple tasks.

Regards

Woon Woon, Gan 

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 6:08 AM
  • Once you do Publish = No

Changes occur :

• The tasks are no longer visible in My Tasks
    • The tasks are no longer visible in any existing timesheets
    • The tasks are not available in new timesheets
    • The tasks are no longer visible in the Resource Assignment view.

Once you Locked Changes occurs:

• Task will  not be visible in My Task
    • visible in Existing Timesheet
    • Not Visible in New Timesheet
    • Visible in Resource Assignment

You can use close task to update to lock multiple task.

kirtesh

• Proposed as answer by Kirteshtiw Monday, May 20, 2013 9:34 AM
    Tuesday, May 7, 2013 7:52 AM
  • Hi

additionally:

If you use Publish=No:

The assignment transaction history is removed from the database, so the information who submitted or approved which actuals to the assignments is deleted.

Christoph

Christoph Muelder | Senior Consultant, MCSE, MCT | SOLVIN information management GmbH, Germany

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 1:17 PM