deleted emails re-appear in OWA RRS feed

• Question

• We have Exchange 2010 SP1 (update rollup 2 applied)
    serverA: Hub transport
    serverB: Exchange mailbox
    two other servers for AD
    All these machines running on Windows 2008 R2 latest patches applied

Some of our OWA users are reporting that when they delete messages sometimes the message comes back (in various folders).
    This is happening using IE8, FF and other browsers

We tried using "OWA Lite" mode, and it worked (deleting message did not re-appear)

I looked at permissions in IIS based on one other thread, and permissions appear to be all same.

Anyone else have noticed this issue?

Thank you,

Friday, February 11, 2011 9:17 PM

All replies

• When the messages are deleted are the users receiving an error message and it re-appears in the Folder view?

Do the messages get moved to the Deleted Items folder and then re-appear again in the folder view?

How many users is this happening to?

MCITP: Enterprise / Server Administrator | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator 2007/2010 | MCP | MCDST
    Sunday, February 13, 2011 7:31 PM
  • When i've seen this problem before it was due to incorrect internal/external URLs on some of the virtual directories on the Client Access servers.

How many CAS are you running, and in which configuration (eg NLB cluster, or just single CAS)?

Paul Cunningham (MCITP) Get more Exchange tips and tutorials at: http://exchangeserverpro.com and the Exchange Server 2003 to 2010 Migration Guide: http://exchangeserverpro.com/exchange-2003-2010-migration-guide
    Monday, February 14, 2011 2:17 AM
  • @ Tom:
    Users do not see any errors; the message goes to Trash. After few minutes (or logout and login) message appears back in same folder it was deleted from.

Only two has reported this...

Note: that these two users only use OWA, they do not have Outlook or any other client setup with this Exchange server

Thank you for trying to help on this.

Monday, February 14, 2011 7:37 PM
  • @ Paul:
    We only have one CAS and one Mailbox server.

Thank you for trying to help on this.

Monday, February 14, 2011 7:37 PM
  • Run Get-OWAVirtualDirectory and note the internal and external URLs for your CAS.

Then run Get-WebServicesVirtualDirectory and look at the internal and external URLs for that.  They should be consistent with the OWA virtual directory.

Also check the Application event log on the CAS, it may have a log entry that gives us further clues.

Paul Cunningham (MCITP) Get more Exchange tips and tutorials at: http://exchangeserverpro.com and the Exchange Server 2003 to 2010 Migration Guide: http://exchangeserverpro.com/exchange-2003-2010-migration-guide
    Monday, February 14, 2011 11:28 PM
  • Ok, the output of commands looks correct.

I checked with the users who are noticing this issue; they currently do not have any emails that are reappearing. So, am waiting for this issue to resurface.

Thank you for your help.

• Marked as answer by Evan Liu Monday, February 21, 2011 4:23 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by umsystems Monday, February 28, 2011 3:53 PM
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 4:07 PM
  • Friday, February 25, 2011 3:56 AM
  • @ Paul,

I had another user report deleted messages re-appear in Inbox this morning. Looked at Application event log (Event Viewer -> Windows Logs -> Application) and there is nothing (Info, warning, errors etc) for the time frame or for the user.

I looked at log level by running (Get-EventLogLevel from EMS), and for all entries, log level is either Low or Lowest. Do I need to set this to a higher level?

Thank you,

Monday, February 28, 2011 3:52 PM
  • I am having the same issue. Yesterday all users were unable to delete from any folder. They could only delete by opening the email and clicking on the delete button. An error message would come up saying there was an error message -  "An Unexpected Error occured and your requeste couldn't be handled". I looked up that error and followed the instructions and got if fixed by correcting a wrong port 80 binding to an external domain. However, the problem has returned, except that now we get no error message and there are no entries in the Event Viewer. Again, the messages can only be deleted if the user opens it and clicks on the delete icon. Deleting from the folder makes it disappear for a while. When the user checks the deleted items folder, the message is not there. On returning to the folder, the deleted message reappers.

Suggestions? Comment?

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 8:46 PM
  • The issue apprears to have been resolved on its own! Only thing we did was reboot CAS and mailbox server during PM window. Since that reboot, no user has reported this issue.

Wednesday, July 6, 2011 4:06 PM