none
Enterprise Project Template setup RRS feed

• Question

• After 2 days of fighting with it, I've managed to create a template for new MS project files that are either created directly within PWA or are imported via MS Project|Save As (Import Wizard).  Per my instructions, I created a new Enterprise Project from the PWA Project Center, published it, customized it to give it all the desired default discussion threads, news feeds and document libraries, then saved it as a template via Site Settings|Save site as template.  Once this was done, I connected this template to the default Enterprise Project Type in the PWA Settings|Enterprise Project Types menu.

It works like a champ - all new projects that I import have the site built just as I set up in the template.  The problem that I have is that Enterprise project is now showing up as a project in the Project Center.

I am worried that if I delete that Enterprise object (which is what I did to delete all of the failed attempts at importing projects to test my template) that I will lose the template, or that the template will lose connection to key components that it needs to function correctly.  Can anyone tell me what the safest way to clean this up would be?  I'm happy to provide MANY more details than what I've included, but didn't want to start out with an over-kill post.

Thursday, April 7, 2016 11:31 PM

Answers

• Hi Paul,

Not sure exactly what do you mean... You can delete from the server setting all your attemps and it will not delete your templates.

Your site template is in the solution gallery (site settings) and you'll be able if needed to use it to create a new template from this one. Deleting the project sites created for testing purpose will have no effect on this template since it is located in this specific solution gallery.

Your project template is accessible from the "delete enterprise objects" menu in the server settings. Note that you have a "type" column in this view, showing you what is a template and what is a project. So DO NOT delete all the items there since your project template(s) are there.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, MCC |

Friday, April 8, 2016 6:52 AM

All replies

• Hi Paul,

Not sure exactly what do you mean... You can delete from the server setting all your attemps and it will not delete your templates.

Your site template is in the solution gallery (site settings) and you'll be able if needed to use it to create a new template from this one. Deleting the project sites created for testing purpose will have no effect on this template since it is located in this specific solution gallery.

Your project template is accessible from the "delete enterprise objects" menu in the server settings. Note that you have a "type" column in this view, showing you what is a template and what is a project. So DO NOT delete all the items there since your project template(s) are there.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, MCC |

Friday, April 8, 2016 6:52 AM
  • Guillaume,

Your post gave me the confidence to just go and delete the test project, and my template continued to function correctly, so thank you for that.

I just needed to be a bit bolder :)

Wednesday, April 13, 2016 9:13 PM