nworks MP RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have 53 ESX servers under the nworks Console but I see only 48 in SCOM.

I check the domain, the ESX version nothing special...

Any idea?

Thanks,
    Dom

System Center Operations Manager 2007 / System Center Configuration Manager 2007 R2 / Forefront Client Security / Forefront Identity Manager
    Thursday, May 5, 2011 12:36 AM

Answers

• Next question would be, do you have enough licenses? in nworks the first screen will tell you. And also a good place would be the nworks support forum as stated before. They should be quite responsive to your wuestions there as well. If you cant get an answer there than please contact me.
    Bob Cornelissen - BICTT (My BICTT Blog)
    • Marked as answer by Felyjos Tuesday, May 10, 2011 3:53 PM
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 5:56 AM
  • I seem to remember that you will see all machines in Nworks console and you can select all you like, but it will only pass the data for the first x machines it has licenses for as far as I know. In any case the Nworks support guys can tell you in an instant.
    • Marked as answer by Felyjos Tuesday, May 10, 2011 4:21 PM
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 4:14 PM
  • Hi Dom, Yes you should run the VIC installer on the second node who will only be a collector. So run it from there. During the install you have to point it to the nworks management server (so the first nworks box you installed) and give service accounts and stuff it wants to know.
    • Marked as answer by Felyjos Friday, May 20, 2011 6:45 PM
    Friday, May 20, 2011 5:39 AM

All replies

• Hi Dom

Veeam (nWorks) have a dedicated support team and I'd suggest that you contact them direct as they'll be able to run through this with you in detail:

http://www.veeam.com/support.html

It is most likely to be a permissions issue with the account that connects to vCenter - take a look in the nWorks event log on the VEM \ Collector for errors.

Cheers

Graham

View OpsMgr tips and tricks at http://systemcentersolutions.wordpress.com/
    Thursday, May 5, 2011 8:21 AM
  • HI Dom,

Do you see all you ESX in the Veeam Console ?
    Did you try to run a Topology discovery from the Veeam Console ?

Christopher

Christopher Keyaert - My OpsMgr / SCOM & Opalis blog : http://www.vnext.be
    Thursday, May 5, 2011 1:23 PM
  • Hi Christopher,

1. Yes

2. yes

Thanks,
    Dom

System Center Operations Manager 2007 / System Center Configuration Manager 2007 R2 / Forefront Client Security / Forefront Identity Manager
    Thursday, May 5, 2011 7:38 PM
  • did you enable act as proxy on your SCOM agent ?

Did you try to restart your SCOM agent, Nworks service, and topology discovery in that order ?

Thursday, May 5, 2011 8:20 PM
  • Hello Christopher,

1. yes

2. Yes

Thanks,
    Dom

Monday, May 9, 2011 9:53 PM
  • Next question would be, do you have enough licenses? in nworks the first screen will tell you. And also a good place would be the nworks support forum as stated before. They should be quite responsive to your wuestions there as well. If you cant get an answer there than please contact me.
    • Marked as answer by Felyjos Tuesday, May 10, 2011 3:53 PM
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 5:56 AM
  • Hi Dom

Have you paid for maintenance with Veeam? If so, their support team should resolve this v. quickly. Why not use their skills if you do have a support contract in place.

I suspect is most likely to be a permissions issue with the account that connects to vCenter - take a look in the nWorks event log on the VEM \ Collector for errors. Either that or as Bob suggests - licensing (though I don't seem to remember being over license stopping the discovery - you do get flagged about it though).

Cheers

Graham

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 1:06 PM

I am short in license but the VEEAM interface is showing all the machines just with a warning.. Let me call nworks...

Thanks,
    Dom

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 3:52 PM
  • Hi Dom

Have you paid for maintenance with Veeam? If so, their support team should resolve this v. quickly. Why not use their skills if you do have a support contract in place.

I suspect is most likely to be a permissions issue with the account that connects to vCenter - take a look in the nWorks event log on the VEM \ Collector for errors. Either that or as Bob suggests - licensing (though I don't seem to remember being over license stopping the discovery - you do get flagged about it though).

Cheers

Graham

Hi Graham,

Yes ... I will check with them and review the collector as well.

Correct short in license does not stop the discovery as all machines are in the collector.

Thanks,
    Dom

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 3:54 PM
  • I seem to remember that you will see all machines in Nworks console and you can select all you like, but it will only pass the data for the first x machines it has licenses for as far as I know. In any case the Nworks support guys can tell you in an instant.
    • Marked as answer by Felyjos Tuesday, May 10, 2011 4:21 PM
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 4:14 PM
  • it seems definetely reacting like this. As there is the tech-ed conference next week and my colleague is going not me (: I will ask him to ask the question.

Thanks,

Dom

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 4:29 PM
  • I am almost sure about it as well, but I can ask a friend of mine to have a look at this thread and confirm.
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 5:33 PM
  • I have ask VEEAM and they opened a case...

Thanks,

Dom

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 6:00 PM
  • Hi Dom,

License should not be an issue - it does not affect discovery.

However I wonder if you are overloading your Collector - do you have only one Collector? Because 50 hosts is usually a pretty high load for one Collector - although it is impossible to be sure, without some details (how many VMs, how many Datastores etc)

But if you do overload your Collector you can see some strange results, such as missing/dropped hosts.

Anyway - our Support should be able to get to the answer quickly for you! And I will be at Tech Ed in Atlanta next week - please ask your colleague to drop by our Veeam booth, he can ask for me, and we can also have a chat!

Regards

Alec King,

Veeam Director of Product Management (and owner of nworks :))

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 8:05 PM
  • Hi Alec,

on the VC --> Host: 53 ; VM: 610; datastores 67 in the VC... I have a case opened by Brian and it should be taken care soonhopefully :)

Julio is going to the Veeam booth during his trip it is plan i will try to have a list of question ready...

Thanks,
    Dom

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 9:58 PM
  • That would be a lot of objects. I actually stress tested nworks at a big customer during a previous nworks beta and pushed it to 52 hosts. This had about 350 guests I think. We ended up concluding that we could push the collector up to two times the supported limit of objects (at that time). Running on a dedicated VM by the way which was a scom MS. This was also the point where we could start to see processing problems whenever something happened to slow the machine down. As long as nothing touched it it could still deal with the load. Seeing your numbers my guess would be that you are over the amount of objects. Our friend Brian will see that quick enough.

So Dom, that would mean that you will have to go to the MMS 2012 of course :-) Hope to see you there!

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 5:26 AM
  • I confirme that if your collectors are overloaded you could have strange results. I've got 81 ESX and around 850 VMs, with 3 collectors, I had discovery problem, vc deconnection, information not up to date and etc.... I added 2 more collectors, so I've got 5 collectors now, and It's working perfectly.

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 6:33 AM
  • That would be a lot of objects. I actually stress tested nworks at a big customer during a previous nworks beta and pushed it to 52 hosts. This had about 350 guests I think. We ended up concluding that we could push the collector up to two times the supported limit of objects (at that time). Running on a dedicated VM by the way which was a scom MS. This was also the point where we could start to see processing problems whenever something happened to slow the machine down. As long as nothing touched it it could still deal with the load. Seeing your numbers my guess would be that you are over the amount of objects. Our friend Brian will see that quick enough.

So Dom, that would mean that you will have to go to the MMS 2012 of course :-) Hope to see you there!

It would have been great let try to work this out already to be budgeted :)

I will see finally all the helful persons which helped, help and will help me!!!

I will try to set a webex with VEEAM Tomorrow.

Thanks,
    Dom

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 4:05 PM
  • Hi Christopher,

This might be the way to go. I will request for more VMs to be the collectors and split the load.

I have only one collector so far.

Thanks,

Dom

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 4:07 PM
  • Alright, sounds like a good plan Dom. Splitting the load will certainly help. Of course there are more tuning possibilities in Nworks you can use, but this would be the first step.
    Second step being getting budget ready for MMS 2012 to come and meet all of us.
    Thursday, May 12, 2011 7:42 AM
  • I am working hard on the second one .... I place a request for 2 VMs as nworks collectors... waiting approval now

Thanks for your help

Dom

Thursday, May 12, 2011 8:25 PM
  • Hello Bob,

I got the second colelctor on hand. I Have the documentation Veeam nworks Management Pack for VMware for Microsoft System center Operations Manager Version 5.5. Module 3 page 14 ... Launch nworksVIC.exe so it is outside of the nworks enterprise console that I need to start the installation of the collector isn't it?

This does not seem right as this will launch a "repair" or "Remove" of the existing collector if I am on the nWworksEMS as stated page 14!!!

The small tiny :) note seems to provide a clue Run nworksVic.exe on all servers you want to be a collector...

Thanks,
    Dom

Friday, May 20, 2011 12:45 AM
  • Hi Dom, Yes you should run the VIC installer on the second node who will only be a collector. So run it from there. During the install you have to point it to the nworks management server (so the first nworks box you installed) and give service accounts and stuff it wants to know.
    • Marked as answer by Felyjos Friday, May 20, 2011 6:45 PM
    Friday, May 20, 2011 5:39 AM
  • Last step, go to the webinterface and load balance ressources.
    Friday, May 20, 2011 7:08 AM

Good now I have the two colletor on nWORKS and SCOM...  it seems effecient so far no more MS grayed out for 12 hours ... !!! :)

Two Watcher nodes available for Multi-ping ...

Huge help I appreciate ...

Have a nice week-end

Thanks,

Dom

Friday, May 20, 2011 6:45 PM
  • Great way to start your weekend Dominique!!! We're going for more than several hours of coloured SCOM (as opposed to grey) :-)
    Friday, May 20, 2011 6:51 PM
  • Hello,

http://ServerName:4430/ I have for the monitoring Load:

Collector 1: 55%

Collector 2: 8%

The split was done by site...

I click "Load balance" for now to see the behavior...

Thanks,

Dom

Friday, May 20, 2011 9:06 PM