Cant lookup from a choice column RRS feed

• Question

• I have one master service supplier list. And another list looking up data from this master list.

Master Supplier showing 2 columns:

Company Name And  Type of Service

Company name is text and Type of Service is a Site Column based of a choices.

I need to bring both the company name & Type of Service from master supplier list, to the second list.

I defined a lookup for Company Name column but I cant choose the "type of Service" to bring with it!

I also cant define a lookup for Type of service column

what should I do?

Edit:

I am looking for a workaround. I already discovered "choice is not supported" by experiencing this situation!

ceren
    • Edited by ova c Friday, September 2, 2011 12:01 PM
    Friday, September 2, 2011 11:25 AM

Answers

• The calculated column workaround (create a calculated column with formula = [Choice Field] and use this field as projected value instead of the choice field) is fine if you do not allow multiple values in the choice field. If you do allow multiple values in the choice field, you cannot use the calculated field to start with. Your options here is to create a text field and use a workflow to populate it (on new and change) - basically copy the choice field there.
    You still have some extra text to deal with- you'll see numbers and the # sign. You can still create a calculated column(s) to strip these or use coding to copy the multi-value choice field.
    As you can see, not a perfect solution and I don't think this was fixed as of SP1 - which should be the way to go.
    AK
    Friday, September 2, 2011 5:03 PM
  • I can offer workaround:

1. Create a text field "Type of Service (Name)"

2. Populate "Type of Service (Name)" with value from Choice.

For example:  Create a new SPD Workflow with automatically start or use Event Receiver.

3. Defined a lookup for Company Name column and choose the "Type of Service (Name)" to bring with it.

Senior Software Developer - Virtosoftware - Premium Web Parts for Microsoft SharePoint 2007 & 2010
    Friday, September 2, 2011 12:58 PM

All replies