Complete PC Backup Windows Vista Ultimate RRS feed

• Question

• I have a problem with Complete PC backup.  I made a backup on usb drive.  I had to delete the file.  I was going to move it while repartitioning the usb drive but decided to delete it instead thinking why not just make a new .vhd file with complete pc backup.  Problem is Complete PC backup still says backup was done and stored on a drive which exist no more.   Is there a way to clear the backup catalog for Complete PC backup and start over.  I just want to start frest like I was making my first back up.  Every time I attempt backup in present state it searches for the deleted volume backup and fails stating not all volumes containing system data are included in the backup.  Im gessing this means it can't located the original .vhd file.  I can use volume shadow copy to backup non system files this backup can be reset by changing backup config settings including drive location.  But I don't see how to reset the Backup configuration information for Complete PC Backup.
    • Moved by Tim QuanModerator Monday, March 2, 2009 1:48 AM .. (Moved from Windows Vista Deployment and Imaging to Windows Vista Setup)
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 11:56 PM

Answers

•   This problem is considered dead.  My solution was an Upgrade to Windows 7 beta.  I was hording the iso I had and decided to try it today.  My laptop is creating an image as I write this.  I can only assume that something in Windows Automated Upgrade corrects file system and volume information before proceeding with the upgrade.  This is because All of my programs were compatible except Windows Power Shell 1.0.  I dought Power Shell was the reason I could not backup the drive.  Thanks for the Help anyways community members.  Oh and the backup drive OK.  I would suggest a upgrade to the Beta as solution for Complete PC repair.  I have tested Migration on 2 computers hooked to Internet.  Everything down to enviornment variable was transferred so I also have my Virtual PC and Virtual Server 2003 vhdmount , winpe shell and all other goodies on my Windows 7 Ultimate.  Also note.  If you upgrade now Mcafee and Norton and other Virus softwares are in Beta until January so your covered.  Im not sure when Beta license for Windows Expires but I have a .wim and norton save and restore for when it does.
    • Marked as answer by Jaywolff Sunday, December 6, 2009 5:21 AM
    Saturday, February 28, 2009 2:19 PM

All replies

•  

Hi,

Are you trying to backup the system to the same USB drive now?

Can you backup the system to another USB drive or a DVD or a partition now?

Please format the USB drive to test the result.

For Backup issues, I suggest discussing them in the following forum. They are the best resource to troubleshoot backup issues.

Backup – Windows and Windows Server

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsbackup/threads/

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Thursday, February 5, 2009 6:06 AM
  • It is the same drive.  I had a fat32 partition and NTFS partiton.   I reformatted and partitioned NTFS because I ran out of backup space.  So I deleted the windows backup image folder which had the .vhd files.  Now I want to make a new complete pc backup on the newly partitioned drive but I get this error Ox80780018  Not all volumes containing system data are included in the backup.
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 7:20 PM
  •  

Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

This issue can be caused by the following two factors:

1.    There is an hidden FAT32 partition on your computer. This partition is created by your computer manufacturer.

2.    Windows Vista Service Pack 1 is not installed on your computer.

You can try one of the following two suggestions to troubleshoot the issue:

1.    Convert the hidden partition from FAT32 to NTFS.

a.    Click Start, click All Programs and click Accessorties.

b.    Right-click Command Prompt and click Run as administrator.

c.    If your hidden partition is drive X, enter the command “convert x: /fs:ntfs” to convert the X: partition from FAT32 to NTFS.

2.    Install Windows Vista Service Pack 1 from the following sites:

For Windows Vista 32bit:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=B0C7136D-5EBB-413B-89C9-CB3D06D12674&displaylang=en

For Windows Vista 64bit:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=874A414B-32B2-41CC-BD8B-D71EDA5EC07C&displaylang=en

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Friday, February 6, 2009 3:24 AM
  • I have Vista Service Pack 2 installed.  Its a Sony Vaio.  The Recovery Partition id is set to hidden OEM type.  IT is formatted NTFS.  It uses has WINRE and VAIO RECOVERY Installed on it. 
    Saturday, February 7, 2009 3:03 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

Are all your partitions NTFS? If not, please convert all of them to NTFS.

Convert FAT32 file system to NTFS in VISTA

In addition, as Windows Vista Service Pack 2 is still in beta, there may be still some problems on it. Please delete Windows Vista Service Pack 2 to test the result. If the issue persists, please install Windows Vista Service Pack 1.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Monday, February 9, 2009 6:51 AM
  • I had service pack 1 installed.  Are you saying uninstall service pack1 and service pack 2 then reinstall service pack 1.
    Monday, February 9, 2009 9:33 PM
  •  

Hi,

OK, you can do that.

Or you can uninstall Service Pack 2 only and keep Service Pack 1.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Tuesday, February 10, 2009 2:25 AM
  •  No luck with removing and reinstalling service pack one.  The other problem I can't unistall sp1 because I have vista ultimate upgrade from sp1 home premium.  I don't understand why it gives the error.  I am able to make full pc backups using Norton System Recovery.  I also have no problem creating a full WIM.  I have no problem making regular windows backups.  The Complete PC Backup seems to be problematic for all the people who moved or deleted the .vhd file from the original target location.  Fresh install would be nice but I have tweaked here and there that it would take time to fresh install.  I think something is simple is being over looked.  I have gone as far as removing my readyboost device.  I went through the same ordeal when I first got sp1 installed.  I had narrowed it down to incompatible programs.  I have identified many problematic software that I use to use that was problems.  Thats why I said all I did was move the backup then decide to delete it and make another like its not a big deal.  Fat32 was necessary for full Movies on Xbox.  Laptop drive just too small.  I then scrubbed the idea of 150fat32 150NFTS because the backup space was needed.  So I formatted the entire drive to NTFS.  No hear me out.  I have seen proven instance that a drive format is not always 100%.  When I need to make a USB flash key pen drive I had to clean all in diskpart because I had problems with regular reformat and say copy winpe files directly to USB using xcopy.  Flash drive would not boot computer.  After Clean all in diskpart and recreate primary partition.  Worked flawless.  I don't know if the same applies to Mass storage usb drive.  I did not clean all using disk part.  I just used the snapin console management to reformat the disk.  I don't know if this could be a problem for Windows Complete PC Backup.  The Fat32 partition was before the NTFS before I reformatted.  I had not got around to backing up the Complete PC till after the change with the drive.  Now I have this problem.  The original backup was made when the drive was split.  You think the partition messed up on the backup target drive and it thinks the whole drive is FAT32. 
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 3:00 AM
  •   This problem is considered dead.  My solution was an Upgrade to Windows 7 beta.  I was hording the iso I had and decided to try it today.  My laptop is creating an image as I write this.  I can only assume that something in Windows Automated Upgrade corrects file system and volume information before proceeding with the upgrade.  This is because All of my programs were compatible except Windows Power Shell 1.0.  I dought Power Shell was the reason I could not backup the drive.  Thanks for the Help anyways community members.  Oh and the backup drive OK.  I would suggest a upgrade to the Beta as solution for Complete PC repair.  I have tested Migration on 2 computers hooked to Internet.  Everything down to enviornment variable was transferred so I also have my Virtual PC and Virtual Server 2003 vhdmount , winpe shell and all other goodies on my Windows 7 Ultimate.  Also note.  If you upgrade now Mcafee and Norton and other Virus softwares are in Beta until January so your covered.  Im not sure when Beta license for Windows Expires but I have a .wim and norton save and restore for when it does.
    • Marked as answer by Jaywolff Sunday, December 6, 2009 5:21 AM
    Saturday, February 28, 2009 2:19 PM