none
Sharepoint Workspace 2010 - Contents out of date RRS feed

• Question

• I understand some people may have had this same issue when working with a beta version of Sharepoint Workspace 2010, but the solutions from that thread seem less relevant to the problem with the latest, standard version.

Some of the documents in our workspace have an icon next to them indicating that the contents are out of date. The documents can only be opened as read-only and cannot be edited by most of the workspace members without uploading an entirely new version. Using the "Get Available Updates" button on the Error Tools menu also does nothing.

1) How can these documents be properly synched and made editable by all workspace members?

2) How does this error arise and what can we do to prevent it from happening in the future?

Thanks very much.

Thursday, February 16, 2012 11:09 AM

All replies

•  

Hi,

According to my analysis, the editing of list attachments is not supported (Although you can open the attachment as read-only). If this is your issue, it is by design.

In addition, please check if the account you are using has contribute permission to the site, library, or list.

Finally, SharePoint Workspace 2010 synchronization is also efficient; only the changes to a file or list are synchronized, not the entire file or list. Please check if these files have been updated.

Thanks,

Rock Wang

Rock Wang TechNet Community Support

Monday, February 20, 2012 8:21 AM
  • Thanks for the reply, but I don't think this is getting at the heart of my problem. These are documents (not list attachments) that were previously editable and just recently have begun to show up as "Out of date." All of the accounts involved have full permissions. And, as I mentioned in my first post, using the "Get Available Updates" button has done nothing.
    Wednesday, February 22, 2012 7:00 AM
  •  

Hi,

I suggest that you try to add large files to the workspace from the member computers with low activity or high resources, then check the result.

In addition, please ensure you have applied the latest updates for SharePoint server and SharePoint Workspace 2010.

Thanks,

Rock Wang

Rock Wang TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Rock Wang– MSFT Sunday, February 26, 2012 1:06 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by wakhulunya Wednesday, February 29, 2012 1:48 PM
    Saturday, February 25, 2012 7:45 AM
  • I don't understand what file size has to do with it. There doesn't seem to be any correlation between file size and likelihood that the file will show up as out of date.

As far as updates, to my knowledge everything is up to date, but if there's a way to check that we'd appreciate it.

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 2:25 PM
  • I'm guessing this is in a Groove workspace?

This issue seems to occur in 2010 Groove workspaces when some combination of resources and activity has substantially reduced the amount of processing space available to SharePoint Workspace, and then someone adds a file that requires more space than that. In most environments this won't happen until a file of well over half a gig, but in some situations that threshold can drop temporarily. For example, the threshold may be substantially lower for someone who has recently added or received a large number of files, especially images. Confusing the issue, small files that are queued after the large file may fail to transfer as well.  Currently, there is no known way to recover from this state -- those files will never sync.

You can avoid this situation by using a 2007 Groove workspace rather than a 2010 Groove workspace. 2007 Groove workspaces use a different queuing and transport system, which has a hard limit of 1 GB for individual files, but is not sensitive to resource flucuations. There are some drawbacks -- a 2007 workspace limits you to 2007 tools, which don't have quite the same set of features and cannot be searched by Windows search.

To create a 2007 Groove workspace in SharePoint Workspace 2010, in the New Groove Workspace dialog, click Options, and for Workspace Version select 2007.

For future reference, SharePoint Workspace questions that don't involve a SharePoint server (or even ones that do) are welcome in the Groove Server Forum, whether a Groove Server is in use or not.

Friday, March 2, 2012 7:43 PM
  • Just wondering if a solution to this problem (contents out of date) was ever issued. I'm having the same problems and have been searching for help for more than a week.

Problem: Documents will not fully download to SharePoint Workspace and will not upload to Office 365.

Error: The contents of "name of my document" have not been downloaded or have not finished downloading. For more information, see "Managing documents in a documents tool" in online help.

I'm ready to cancel my subscription to Office 365 and subsequently discard SharePoint Workspace as defective and useless. 

Sunday, November 18, 2012 4:46 AM