none
Virtual Windows XP not starting up RRS feed

• Question

• Not long ago, due to an error on my computer that stated I needed to do a windows repair in order to successfully install certain Windows Updates, I did the repair using the original Windows CD as directed.  The repair worked.  However, now my Virtual Windows XP icon will not start up my virtual partition.  Nothing happens in fact.  I suspect the commands needed in the Registry are missing and I don't know what those commands were anyway, although I do have backups.  To install a prior registry copy would create problems as there have been subsequent windows and other software updates.  So, is there a repair function or software that will search my PC and do the necessary repairs (to registry) to allow my Virtual Windows XP icon to open my virtual PC?
    Saturday, January 14, 2012 4:06 AM

Answers

• Windows Virtual PC is the program that manages virtual machines.  XP Mode is an XP SP3 virtual machine.  You can use WVPC to create additional virtual machines but you must provide your own operating system for them.  You can uninstall WVPC and reinstall it without affecting the XP Mode vm.  The WVPC installer writes the needed registry entries.  Double-clicking the Windows XP Mode.vmc file causes the file to search for WVPC and reassociate the file with WVPC and start the vm.

The .vmc file is located at (default) C:/Users/(your name)/AppData/Virtual Machines/Windows/Windows Virtual PC/Virtual Machines/Windows XP Mode.vmc.

By far the simplest way to back up the .vhd file is to copy it to another location.  Simply drag and drop.

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 2:09 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please go to C:\users\yourprofile\Virtual Machines to check if Windows XP Mode.vmcx exist. Try to double click it to check if Windows XP Mode can be started.

If it can be started in that location, create the shortcut from there.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

TechNet Community Support

Monday, January 16, 2012 3:51 AM
  • Thanks, Leo:

I located the vmcx file.  It does exist.  I double clicked on it and received the following message:

"Windows can't open this file".  It can't find the program I want to use to open it.  I used both selections, Web services and Selection a program and didn't find the appropriate program.

Jim

Monday, January 16, 2012 6:54 AM
  • Hi,

Your Windows Virtual PC may corrupted, please try to reinstall Windows VPC for test.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

TechNet Community Support

Monday, January 16, 2012 8:10 AM
  • I have three questions before I do that:

1) Where on my computer are the Windows VPC files located?

2) Can I reinstall them from a backup?

3) Will a re-installation affect or overwrite my existing Windows XP Mode programs already installed?

Thank you.

Jim

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 11:33 PM
  • 1.  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee431673(WS.10).aspx

2.  What did you back up with?

3.  Reinstallation of XP Mode involves first removing the existing XP Modeis so it is like recovering from a manufacturer's recovery disk.  It starts you all over again. 

• Edited by Cbarnhorst Tuesday, January 17, 2012 11:40 PM
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 11:40 PM
  • I have two different types of backup: Retrospect 7.7 from about a year ago and Microsoft Backup, both to a separate Iomega drive.  I am using Windows 7 Pro, X64.

Are Virtual PC and XP Mode two separate things so that reinstalling Virtual PC would not overwrite my XP Mode programs?  Wishful thinking.

If the associations which should be in the Registry are missing, wouldn't that stop Virtual PC from working?  I have assumed that was the problem.

Jim

Thursday, January 19, 2012 1:32 AM
  • Windows Virtual PC is the program that manages virtual machines.  XP Mode is an XP SP3 virtual machine.  You can use WVPC to create additional virtual machines but you must provide your own operating system for them.  You can uninstall WVPC and reinstall it without affecting the XP Mode vm.  The WVPC installer writes the needed registry entries.  Double-clicking the Windows XP Mode.vmc file causes the file to search for WVPC and reassociate the file with WVPC and start the vm.

The .vmc file is located at (default) C:/Users/(your name)/AppData/Virtual Machines/Windows/Windows Virtual PC/Virtual Machines/Windows XP Mode.vmc.

By far the simplest way to back up the .vhd file is to copy it to another location.  Simply drag and drop.

Thursday, January 19, 2012 2:09 AM
  • Thank you.

I have found "Windows XP Mode.vmc".  On my machine it is located at: C:/Users/(my name)/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows Virtual PC/Virtual Machines/

When I click on it, I get the message: "Windows can't open this file.  To open this file, Windows needs to know what program you want to use to open it...."

When I look for Windows Virtual PC or WVPC under "Programs and Features", it is not found although Windows XP Mode is there.  So, I am wondering if I can just reinstall without uninstalling the WVPC to correct the registry?  I guess I find the WVPC on the Microsoft website?

Jim

Thursday, January 19, 2012 2:46 AM
  • Use the Browse button and select it.
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 3:43 AM