none
What's wrong with making security groups mail enabled? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

In my previeus post I asked about Security Group Mambership. The last answer is that It's still fully supported.

In a LinkedIn post Frenk Drewes commented on my question writhig: "Guy - this is not possible with the current MIM Outlook plug-in design. The key limitation is the selection of groups comes out of what Outlook sees as groups - distribution groups. If the security groups were mail-enabled, that might be a possibility- but that’s not something trivial (or even desirable to some).

My new question is obvieusly: What's wrong with making security groups mail enabled?

I already see that messages to the group can be prevented. For me it's just a few attributes more. 

GH

Tuesday, March 5, 2019 10:19 AM

All replies

• Hi Guy-

There's nothing wrong with it per-se but it often creates governance problems. People can manage distribution lists through Outlook and they typically do that with the intent of getting people on an email list. When it's a mail enabled security group, that also means you can ACL resources with the group. Often the person updating the group for email purposes has no idea that they're also granting access to something. 

Thanks,
    Brian

Consulting | Blog | AD Book

Friday, March 8, 2019 5:49 PM