none
GALSync and Office365 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I would like to implement MIM GALSync across three Exchange Organizations. One of them uses Office365 (AzureAD and ADDS are synchronized using AzureAD Connect). But they don’t have an Exchange Server on-premises anymore. From my perspective the only way to establish proper GALSync is to deploy Exchange 2013 CAS Server on-prem to be able to provision mail-enabled contacts. Is there a more elegant way?

Another question. What would be the best way for GALSync if an Organization has Cloud-only Identities (No Sync between AzureAD and ADDS)?

Thanks for any suggestions best regards

Pirmin

Tuesday, January 19, 2016 3:01 PM

Answers

• I think you can sync GAL to O365 using AADSync and MIMGAL will sync GALs between on-prem AD forests.

See this:
    http://blog.msresource.net/2013/12/12/galsync-and-dirsync-in-harmony/
    This mentions DirSync but AADSync would do the same.

Regards,
    Varun

• Marked as answer by Pirmin Felber Thursday, February 11, 2016 8:16 AM
    Thursday, February 11, 2016 6:38 AM
  • Hi SAH

That customer had ADDS synched with AzureAD Connect, but NO Exchange on-premises. This kind of deplyoment is still not supported by Microsoft (I assume it never will be). The only solution for that case would be deploy Exchange Hybrid and just use MIM GALSync. Here some Details about wich Scenario is supported or not.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/decommission-on-premises-exchange#common-scenarios

However, I just have another customer who has Exchange Hybrid Organizations AND one Exchange Organization which is Exchange online ONLY. That case is supported by Exchange/ ExchangeOnline. But there is still NO GALSync Support for that. So I had to do this myself:

For these Organisation with Exchange On-premises / Exchange Hybrid, I just use the GALSync Connector.
    For the one Organization with Exchange Online only, I used Microsoft Powershell Management Agent to connect custom Powershell Scripts. These Scripts connect Exchange online through standard Powershell connectivity for Exchange Online.

I had to write quite some lines Powershell to make that connector work. Also I extended the GALSync Solution delivered with MIM with a minimum of code so that I can preserve the functionality of the original GALSync Solution and extend it to Organizations with Exchange online only. Currently the whole Thing works for the Customer in a Pilot group. Be Aware that this Kind of Integration is pretty slow - the Customer Only has some hundred users in that Exchange online Organization. I tested with an Organization with about 8000 recipients in the Exchange Online Organization - it works, but it takes 30min for a full Import...

hope this helps & best regards

Pirmin

• Marked as answer by Pirmin Felber Tuesday, September 4, 2018 1:50 PM
    Tuesday, September 4, 2018 1:50 PM

All replies

• Hello anyone?
    Wednesday, February 10, 2016 5:38 PM
  • I think you can sync GAL to O365 using AADSync and MIMGAL will sync GALs between on-prem AD forests.

See this:
    http://blog.msresource.net/2013/12/12/galsync-and-dirsync-in-harmony/
    This mentions DirSync but AADSync would do the same.

Regards,
    Varun

• Marked as answer by Pirmin Felber Thursday, February 11, 2016 8:16 AM
    Thursday, February 11, 2016 6:38 AM
  • i tried it but it didnt work

should i edit the code or should i replace anything by my Office365 account ?

helpppp

Friday, September 30, 2016 2:20 PM
  • May I know how you accomplished the requirement. We have similar requirement and looking for feasible solution.

SAH

Tuesday, September 4, 2018 1:13 PM
  • Hi SAH

That customer had ADDS synched with AzureAD Connect, but NO Exchange on-premises. This kind of deplyoment is still not supported by Microsoft (I assume it never will be). The only solution for that case would be deploy Exchange Hybrid and just use MIM GALSync. Here some Details about wich Scenario is supported or not.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/decommission-on-premises-exchange#common-scenarios

However, I just have another customer who has Exchange Hybrid Organizations AND one Exchange Organization which is Exchange online ONLY. That case is supported by Exchange/ ExchangeOnline. But there is still NO GALSync Support for that. So I had to do this myself:

For these Organisation with Exchange On-premises / Exchange Hybrid, I just use the GALSync Connector.
    For the one Organization with Exchange Online only, I used Microsoft Powershell Management Agent to connect custom Powershell Scripts. These Scripts connect Exchange online through standard Powershell connectivity for Exchange Online.

I had to write quite some lines Powershell to make that connector work. Also I extended the GALSync Solution delivered with MIM with a minimum of code so that I can preserve the functionality of the original GALSync Solution and extend it to Organizations with Exchange online only. Currently the whole Thing works for the Customer in a Pilot group. Be Aware that this Kind of Integration is pretty slow - the Customer Only has some hundred users in that Exchange online Organization. I tested with an Organization with about 8000 recipients in the Exchange Online Organization - it works, but it takes 30min for a full Import...

hope this helps & best regards

Pirmin

• Marked as answer by Pirmin Felber Tuesday, September 4, 2018 1:50 PM
    Tuesday, September 4, 2018 1:50 PM