Deploying IEAK build fails RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I have used IEAK to build a custom install package, and have then used the .exe file to create a package in SCE. When I deploy this package out to a test group of Windows XP clients it doesn't install. The package is downloaded to the clients and upon shut down the 'Install and shut down' prompt appears, and then it says installing update 1 of 1 for about 30 seconds and then shuts down. When you turn any of the clients PCs back on IE hasn't been updated. If you run the .exe file manually on any of the machines IE installs correctly.

Am I doign something incorrectly here? I have tried with and withou /q as the installation parameter, and also using the .msi file instead of the .exe.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Chris

Monday, January 18, 2010 5:06 PM

Answers

• Hello Chris,

From the log file, I found an error message: "WARNING: Exit code = 0x80242008"

0x80242008 SUS_E_UH_OPERATIONCANCELLED
    'The update may require user input so can not be installed in this context' and 'The install was canceled via a handler method (as opposed to, for example, an installer running with UI that was cancelled externally to WSUS)'.

And from the IEAK 7 Deployment Guide, I found the following note in Page 15:

Deploying Internet Explorer 7 through Windows Update, WSUS, a shared folder, a CD, or a hyperlink all require user intervention to configure the installation. Deploying Internet Explorer 7 through SMS or Group Policy can be performed silently, without user intervention.

For SCE 2007 uses WSUS to deploy the software, it needs user intervention to configure the installation. So the installation fails when computers shutting down. I would suggest manually installing the package after the Automatic Update Icon prompts.

Thanks,
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Yog Li - MSFT

• Proposed as answer by Yog Li Tuesday, January 26, 2010 9:42 AM
    • Marked as answer by Yog Li Thursday, January 28, 2010 9:43 AM
    Monday, January 25, 2010 10:14 AM

All replies

• Hello Chris,

Can you please check if while approving the updates you selected "Publish Update to Add/Remove Programs"?

Also, it would be helpful if you can forward the %windir%/windowsupdate.log to SCEData@microsoft.com for investigations.

Thanks, Anshu
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 12:57 AM
  • When approving the update I haven't selected "Publish Update to Add/Remove Programs". I tried this once and it didn't push out the package to the client computer.

I have sent a copy of my windowsupdate.log to the above address with the subject "Deploying IEAK build fails - windowsupdate.log".

Thanks,
    Chris
    • Edited by Chris Pike Friday, January 22, 2010 2:11 PM Mistake
    Friday, January 22, 2010 2:09 PM
  • Hello Chris,

From the log file, I found an error message: "WARNING: Exit code = 0x80242008"

0x80242008 SUS_E_UH_OPERATIONCANCELLED
    'The update may require user input so can not be installed in this context' and 'The install was canceled via a handler method (as opposed to, for example, an installer running with UI that was cancelled externally to WSUS)'.

And from the IEAK 7 Deployment Guide, I found the following note in Page 15:

Deploying Internet Explorer 7 through Windows Update, WSUS, a shared folder, a CD, or a hyperlink all require user intervention to configure the installation. Deploying Internet Explorer 7 through SMS or Group Policy can be performed silently, without user intervention.

For SCE 2007 uses WSUS to deploy the software, it needs user intervention to configure the installation. So the installation fails when computers shutting down. I would suggest manually installing the package after the Automatic Update Icon prompts.

Thanks,
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Yog Li - MSFT

• Proposed as answer by Yog Li Tuesday, January 26, 2010 9:42 AM
    • Marked as answer by Yog Li Thursday, January 28, 2010 9:43 AM
    Monday, January 25, 2010 10:14 AM
  • Hi Chris,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as "Answered" as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.

In addition, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks,

Yog Li - MSFT
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 9:45 AM