Will GAL photos ever appear to external non-domain recipients, or only for members of my AD forest? RRS feed

• Question

• Just a basic question, regarding GAL photos.

It's my understanding that if I populate our AD with Exchange photos for our employees, those photos will only appear for OWA, Outlook 2010 / 2013 users that are members of my AD forest, and won't appear in email clients when they email to external non-domain contacts.

Is this correct?

Server: Exchange 2010

Domain: Windows 2008 R2

Mail clients: Outlook 2010 / 2013

Sunday, November 24, 2013 4:02 PM

Answers

• That's correct. Unless, perhaps, you have a federation with the other organization.

With Lync, photos will appear in conversations with non-domain users, if they're allowed to federate with your organization.

For the "other" organizations, they'd have to be able to access your AD, even if that's done by a proxy of some sort.

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE&I, Exchange MVP

Sunday, November 24, 2013 10:03 PM
  • Hi,

Yes. GAL photos won’t display if email clients cannot access the AD where the pictures reside.

In addition, here is a reference for you to understand more about GAL photos:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2010/06/01/3410006.aspx

Should you need more assistance, feel free to let me know.

Regards,

Rebecca Tu
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, November 25, 2013 7:18 AM

All replies

• That's correct. Unless, perhaps, you have a federation with the other organization.

With Lync, photos will appear in conversations with non-domain users, if they're allowed to federate with your organization.

For the "other" organizations, they'd have to be able to access your AD, even if that's done by a proxy of some sort.

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE&I, Exchange MVP

Sunday, November 24, 2013 10:03 PM
  • Hi,

Yes. GAL photos won’t display if email clients cannot access the AD where the pictures reside.

In addition, here is a reference for you to understand more about GAL photos:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2010/06/01/3410006.aspx

Should you need more assistance, feel free to let me know.

Regards,

Rebecca Tu
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, November 25, 2013 7:18 AM