confusion about whether windows 7 can be repaired by reinstalling over itself. RRS feed

• Question

• i have a retail 64bit copy of windows 7 which appears to have some os corruption which cannot be detected by using sfc. For example, while internet explorer 64bit works normally, internet explorer 32 bit will not open. Is it possible to do a reinstallation of windows which will preserve my installed programs and my personal data? I do not care if windows settings are returned to their default status. My version is windows 7 professional. Thanks very much.
    Saturday, November 13, 2010 10:32 PM

Answers

• In-place Upgrade will repair all your system components.
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Thursday, November 25, 2010 6:47 AM
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 9:11 AM

All replies

• Here is a link to how to do a repair install. http://www.w7forums.com/repair-install-t1204.html

You might also see if you can uninstall Internet Explorer 32 bit and then re-install it.

Sunday, November 14, 2010 1:46 AM
  • saw that....my hesitancy is that this does NOT seem to gel w the information from Microsoft, which seems to suggest that a "repair install" of 7 is not possible. Any further thoughts? Thanks!
    Daniel Lee Henry
    Sunday, November 14, 2010 2:42 AM

• I have not tried this http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html   but it looks like it would be easy enough to do.

SC Tom
    -There's no such thing as TMI when asking for tech support.

Sunday, November 14, 2010 2:03 PM
  • In-place Upgrade will repair all your system components.
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Thursday, November 25, 2010 6:47 AM
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 9:11 AM