Error: 'the workbook is currently open by 256 users' Spreadsheet then only opens as read only access while opening a file RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Unable to open a password protected workbook.

Requests to open in Excel, When typing in the Password to open as Write access I get the error advising that 'the workbook is currently open by 256 users' Spreadsheet then only opens as read only access.

Any suggestions on this?

Regards,

Omi

Monday, July 30, 2018 8:51 AM

All replies

• Hi

Seems other user is editing the particular file now. You may try to "save as" this file from SharePoint to your desktop, then try to open and see if you are able to open the excel file. 

Monday, July 30, 2018 9:18 AM
  • Hello,

This is the workaround we are following up right now. Please suggest some fix to the issue.

Regards,

Omi

Monday, July 30, 2018 5:08 PM
  • Hi Omi Kumari,

Per my test in my SharePoint 2013 environment, I upload a password protected workbook in document library in SharePoint site. And I can open the workbook in the excel.

Did the issue occur on all documents?

To troubleshoot the issue, check things below:

1. Save the file with other names to check if the issue will occur.

2. Check if the file format is .xls. If so, convert .xls to .xlsx. For more detailed information, refer to the article below.

The workbook is currently open by 256 users : Sharepoint 2010 excel error .

http://sharepoint693.blogspot.com/2014/02/the-workbook-is-currently-open-by-256.html

3. Download the file, delete the file and re-upload the file into SharePoint site.

The workbook is currently open by 256 users.

http://sandyssharepointsite.blogspot.com/2015/07/the-workbook-is-currently-open-by-256.html

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, July 31, 2018 8:58 AM
  • Hi Omi Kumari,

How is everything going?

Is there anything update about this issue?

If the reply is helpful to you, you could mark the reply as answer. Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, August 6, 2018 1:37 AM
  • We were getting this error on spreadsheet on a network drive, using Excel 2016. We solved it by opening the file in Excel 2010, then saving the file again.
    Tuesday, August 21, 2018 6:29 AM