Help! BOOTMGR is missing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Every

Hi Everyone,

I’m new to the house and I humbly need your help.

I wanted to have a dual boot of Windows 7 (Home, pre-install) and Windows Server 2008 on my system (HP 64bit).

I decided to create a partition of 150GB for the server (Total HDD 500GB) . I grab a partition tool (MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition) to do this, and that is where the trouble started. I shut down after the partitioning, when I wanted to boot, the system would not boot up.

Each time I tried to boot up the system, this is what I get: “BOOTMGR is missing   Press Ctr+Alt+Del to restart”.

I guessed the system no longer sees my original Windows partition as C: rather it now sees the new partition(that neither contain BOOTMGR file or any other file for that matter) as C: I had brought out the HDD and connected it to another system as an external drive, using the same tool, I tried to delete the new partition, but I still get the same message when I start the system.

Anyone with a clue on how to solve this should please help

Thanks in advance

AustinTY

Saturday, March 30, 2013 11:14 PM

Answers

• Austin

Win 7 creates a hidden boot partition of about 350 Mb.  When you created the "server" partition you may have deleted it.  You can boot from the win 7 dvd and do a repair install.

Wanikiya & Dyami -Team-ZigZag. www.ZigZag3143.com email Admin@zigzag3143.com

Sunday, March 31, 2013 2:33 AM
  • Hi,

I suggest trying the following steps to troubleshoot the issue.

Method 1: Repair Bootsect

================

1. Put the Windows 7 installation disc into the disc drive, and then start the computer.

2. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …". appears.

3. Select a language, a time, a currency, and a keyboard or another input method, and then click Next.

4. Click Repair your computer.

5. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.

6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.

7. Type BOOTREC /FIXMBR, and then press ENTER. 

8. Type BOOTREC /FIXBOOT, and then press ENTER. 

9. Type Drive:\boot\Bootsect.exe /NT60 All, and then press ENTER. 

Note: In this command, Drive is the drive where the Windows Vista installation media is located.

Method 2: Rebuild BCD

===============

1. Put the Windows 7 installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer. 

2. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …". appears.

3. Select a language, a time, a currency, and a keyboard or another input method, and then click Next. 

7. Type Bootrec /RebuildBcd , and then press ENTER. 

Method 3: Use the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) to run System Restore======================================================

1. Insert the Windows 7 installation disc into the disc drive, and then start the computer. 

3. Select a language, a time and currency, and a keyboard or input method, and then click Next. 

5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next 

6. At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on System Restore.

7. Follow the System Restore Wizard instruction as usual and choose the appropriate restore point.

8. Click Finish to restore the system.

Hope this helps.

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, April 1, 2013 7:29 AM

All replies

• Austin

Win 7 creates a hidden boot partition of about 350 Mb.  When you created the "server" partition you may have deleted it.  You can boot from the win 7 dvd and do a repair install.

Wanikiya & Dyami -Team-ZigZag. www.ZigZag3143.com email Admin@zigzag3143.com

Sunday, March 31, 2013 2:33 AM
  • Hi,

I suggest trying the following steps to troubleshoot the issue.

Method 1: Repair Bootsect

================

1. Put the Windows 7 installation disc into the disc drive, and then start the computer.

7. Type BOOTREC /FIXMBR, and then press ENTER. 

8. Type BOOTREC /FIXBOOT, and then press ENTER. 

9. Type Drive:\boot\Bootsect.exe /NT60 All, and then press ENTER. 

Note: In this command, Drive is the drive where the Windows Vista installation media is located.

Method 2: Rebuild BCD

===============

1. Put the Windows 7 installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer. 

7. Type Bootrec /RebuildBcd , and then press ENTER. 

Method 3: Use the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) to run System Restore======================================================

1. Insert the Windows 7 installation disc into the disc drive, and then start the computer. 

3. Select a language, a time and currency, and a keyboard or input method, and then click Next. 

5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next 

6. At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on System Restore.

7. Follow the System Restore Wizard instruction as usual and choose the appropriate restore point.

8. Click Finish to restore the system.

Hope this helps.

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, April 1, 2013 7:29 AM