Will changing primary alias in Microsoft Account affect use of Onedrive and Office 365? RRS feed

• Question

• When I first setup my Windows 8 (now 8.1) notebook I used an email address for my Microsoft Account that I now no longer want to have associated with this account.  This is the MS Account that I use to login to my notebook, Onedrive and Office 365 to manage the 5 installs that are provided.  In reading several MS forums, it now appears all you have to do to change your MS Account email (alias) is to set up a second alias, then move that to your primary alias. 

This sounds easy, but how does it affect your Onedrive and Office 365 installs that are linked to this.  I know the Onedrive and Office 365 setups use the MS Account also, so will they all just magically change too?  I'm just a little leery of doing this and then finding my Office no longer works or I can no longer login to my notebook. 

Does anyone have experience with this and found it to work? 

Wednesday, July 23, 2014 2:31 AM

Answers

• Ok, guess I answered my own question.  I switched the Microsoft account off the Primary Alias and substituted my new email address for it.  When I turned the notebook on it of course still had the old email address showing, but allowed me to login just fine.  After a few minutes I kept checking it by going on and off the lock screen where the email address is displayed and it changed by itself to the new email.  Also all the Apps and Windows store eventually updated to the new email address.  The only thing that hasn't yet is Office programs such as Word and Excel.  They work fine and sync with the Onedrive still, but remain showing the old email address.  When I did the switch a dialog box came up and said it could take 48 hours for this to process through all applications, so not worried about that yet. 
    • Proposed as answer by Davidoo1 Friday, July 25, 2014 4:37 AM
    • Marked as answer by Michael_LS Thursday, July 31, 2014 2:45 AM
    Friday, July 25, 2014 4:37 AM

All replies

• Hi,

So from what I understand, you want to change the Microsoft account to a local account, or another Microsoft account?

Your Microsoft account is what you use for almost everything you do with Microsoft devices and services. With one sign in, you can use Skype, use your Office 365 subscription; buy games, music and movies from our participating stores; and access all of your photos, videos, and documents on OneDrive. Your account consists of an email and password, plus your profile info, privacy settings, communications preferences, and your billing and payment details.

For more information, we could take a look at the following link:
    Microsoft account

When using other account, you could use them, and you might need to sign in with an Microsoft account to get more features in Office 365/OneDrive.

Best regards

Michael Shao
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, July 24, 2014 9:56 AM
  • Michael, thanks for the reply.  I fully understand how the Microsoft Account works and what it does.  My question is, how do I keep the same Microsoft Account, but just change the email address associated with it?  When logging into my MS Account, I can add the new email address I want, then make it the "Primary Address" but what will that do to the computer that I am signing on to that still has the old email address in the signon screen?  How will my notebook know that I want it to login with the new address?  I don't really want to have to create an additional account, I just want to use the one I have with a different email address.
    Thursday, July 24, 2014 7:44 PM
  • Ok, guess I answered my own question.  I switched the Microsoft account off the Primary Alias and substituted my new email address for it.  When I turned the notebook on it of course still had the old email address showing, but allowed me to login just fine.  After a few minutes I kept checking it by going on and off the lock screen where the email address is displayed and it changed by itself to the new email.  Also all the Apps and Windows store eventually updated to the new email address.  The only thing that hasn't yet is Office programs such as Word and Excel.  They work fine and sync with the Onedrive still, but remain showing the old email address.  When I did the switch a dialog box came up and said it could take 48 hours for this to process through all applications, so not worried about that yet. 
    • Proposed as answer by Davidoo1 Friday, July 25, 2014 4:37 AM
    • Marked as answer by Michael_LS Thursday, July 31, 2014 2:45 AM
    Friday, July 25, 2014 4:37 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your update.

In addition, I would like to share the below information:

Use aliases to add email addresses to your account

Best regards

Michael Shao
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, July 25, 2014 5:38 AM
  • And what about the impact on a Windows 10 Mobile device?
    Thursday, September 21, 2017 10:49 AM