none
Test failover error 'MaximumPartitionLimitExceeded' RRS feed

• Question

• HI,

We have an HyperV VM (Windows Server 2012R2) that was being replicated to Azure adequately for many time.

Un July 26 some maintenance work was done and the disk was left with 5 partitions.

Yes, great error: Although the machine continued to replicate correctly, we knew we should solve that, but in the meantime (july 29th) the disaster happened.

Now we have various consistent recovery points (July 28<sup>th</sup>) but without the possibility of performing the test failover due to the persistent 'MaximumPartitionLimitExceeded' (170068) error .

Although we have rebuilt the VM and restored most of its services, there is important information in the main partition (c :) that we could not recover.

So, since we are no longer interested in restoring the computer as such but only recovering some files from the main partition, we were wondering if there would be no other way to recover the desired files, such as mounting that partition as an additional disk in a new VM created in azure.

Thanks in advance;

Claudio

Thursday, August 15, 2019 3:56 AM

Answers

• Minutes after generating this query I began to think why one of the options of the portal was "Clean Test FailOver".

The first idea was that in each attempt a significant volume of data was being generated.

Then, I accessed the storage blobs where this VM's replication service resided and there I found that each of the failOver attempts had generated a beautiful VHD. Note that the problem with this VM was not data but configuration (for having more than 4 partitions).

So, using Microsoft Azure Storage Explorer, I downloaded one of the generated vhd and (about 10 hours later) I mounted it on my local computer.

There I found the complete content of the main partition (C :) of the VM disk, perfectly functional. I have not tried how to access the rest of the patitions (the desired files are in C :) but I guess it would not be impossible to recover that content as well.
    Well, I hope this information will help someone with a similar problem.
    Regards;

Claudio Lacivita

• Marked as answer by haguila Thursday, August 15, 2019 5:33 PM
    Thursday, August 15, 2019 5:32 PM