none
Can't get into Microsoft Update Catalog with IE 11 on Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• Trying to download KB3081444.  Only options offered are microsoft.com/downloads, which doesn't have it, and the Microsoft Update Catalog site.

I went there with Edge (I'm running Win 10) but it told me to use IE.  Once at the page, I keep getting told that "this web site wants to add the following add-on: "Microsoft Update Catalog" from "Microsoft Corporation."  (Are there quotes because IE doesn't believe it's really Microsoft?  Or is it just being sarcastic?  Hard to tell sometimes. :-) )

Anyway, I always click "Install," but nothing happens.  F12 offers no help.  Any idea how a fully updated, licensed copy of Windows 10 Enterprise running the latest version of Internet Explorer (with no fancy security settings cranked up) can't load an ActiveX control from Microsoft Corporation while trying to download updates from Microsoft's Update Catalog?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Mark

Friday, September 4, 2015 1:29 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

File>Properties to determine which IE security zone a domain maps to... by default internet sites may be using enhanced protected mode and only running x64 ActiveX controls. Server versions of windows run in an Enhanced Protection Mode, ActiveX and downloads can only be installed from domains that are in the Trusted Sites or Internet zones. If you already have *.Microsoft.com listed in your trusted sites list add *.live.com to allow credential navigation on MS download sites.

Some clients may have xbox, Microsoft and

f12>Console tab, script input, type

navigator.platform[enter]

to determine the bitness of the current tab.

Tools>ActiveX filtering to toggle ActiveX filtering for the current site. (you will see the 'circle' icon in the Address bar if its turned on, dev tool will list what is being blocked by Tracking protection and ActiveX filtering.

If still no luck try using procmonitor (sysinternals) to see which registry keys are failing to be written.

Please include the full address of any websites you are having problems with your questions.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Saturday, September 5, 2015 12:28 AM
  • Microsoft Update Catalog site.

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=KB3081444

The usability of that site has always been problematic.  Now even quirkier than ever.  E.g. I just connected to it with the above link and got the opportunity to Add to cart for both packages but the buttons would not work.   Checking a bit I found that my Microsoft Update Catalog Add-on is dated 2013, so I could imagine that might cause a problem.  I disabled it and then found myself at the Home page with nowhere obvious to go.  The Help and FAQ pages don't mention the add-on.  I remember it being a prompt as you describe but haven't been able to get to that so far.

Maybe I should try uninstalling the add-on instead of leaving it disabled?  Who knows?

I once tried to give them some feedback for some other ridiculous quirk I had noticed but suspect my comments were ignored.

Oh.  Starting from here seems promising

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Home.aspx

then do the search manually.  But I definitely have to leave that MUC add-on enabled to get anywhere.

Using the IE Developer Tools shows first that it uses IE7 Compatibility mode.  Any other combination of Document mode and User-Agent string all result in this error being shown in the Console

SCRIPT5007: Unable to get property 'callee' of undefined or null reference

I'm not sure it is worthwhile trying to find a workaround for these defects.

What is the Version that you are getting for the add-on that you are getting?  FWIW here's mine:

Name:                   Microsoft Update Catalog
    Publisher:              Microsoft Corporation
    Type:                   ActiveX Control
    Architecture:           32-bit
    Version:                7.4.7057.249
    File date:              ‎Thursday, ‎June ‎20, ‎2013, ‏‎10:42
    Date last accessed:     ‎Today, ‎September ‎7, ‎2015, ‏‎6 minutes ago
    Class ID:               {5AE58FCF-6F6A-49B2-B064-02492C66E3F4}
    Use count:              51
    Block count:            31
    File:                   MicrosoftUpdateCatalogWebControl.dll
    Folder:                 C:\Windows\SysWOW64

I can't remember when I would have gotten it.  Must have inherited from W8.1.2

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, September 8, 2015 3:11 AM
    Answerer
  • Maybe I should try uninstalling the add-on instead of leaving it disabled?  Who knows?

I went a bit further than Disable, still using the Manage Add-ons GUI.  There is a Remove button when you use the More information button.  However, it looks like all it does is remove the add-on from the list but not actually uninstall it.  E.g. after that I did see the prompt which makes sense if you consider it from the context of the Manage Add-ons GUI but I still see the same old version and still see a Script error.  BTW the location of that error varies quite a bit but always somewhere in Search.aspx.  I'm not sure what that would imply.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, September 8, 2015 3:30 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

There is one thing I have to tell you. Though you have installed the add-on, the next interface is not download for it. The next Window just offer “Add into the basket” and I infer you can check the KB updates in Windows Update after you click “Add”.

As we known, the Windows Update for Windows 10 are force to install and you can’t download it manually. Therefore, I suggest you directly download the Update in Windows Update. Just type “Windows Update” in search box < Check “Check online for updates from Microsoft update”.

Best Regards

Simon  

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 14, 2015 3:14 AM
  • As we known, the Windows Update for Windows 10 are force to install and you can’t download it manually.

Then I think they should give us a clearer indication of that when we try than "SCRIPT5007: Unable to get property 'callee' of undefined or null reference"   <eg>

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, September 14, 2015 4:28 AM
    Answerer
  • Anyway, I always click "Install," but nothing happens. 

I just remembered having some problems at this site once (more quirks) in W8.1.1 (it would have been then) when I was using a different admin account than the machine owner.  Rob's suggestion to use ProcMon might clarify something like that.

F12 offers no help.

F12 and ProcMon are just about all I know about for diagnosing things like this.  It should give you some clues.

Otherwise on a completely different tack I imagine I would try investigating a possible alternative such as WSUS (which I know next to nothing about except that I think it would give you the possibility of caching an update on a server you would have control over.)

C.f.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/a3c44c63-9dfb-4aac-98a6-3a8f509ff18f/no-windows-10-updates-visible-in-wsus-32?forum=winserverwsus 

(TechNet search for
        WSUS W10
    )

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, September 14, 2015 4:52 AM
    Answerer
  • I have found that the only way to get the Microsoft Update Catalog site to load at all is to turn off protected mode in IE 11. It then works fine, (I am using Windows 10 1511 x64).

It does appear that there isn't much interest on the Microsoft side in maintaining this site, but I do hope that they do continue with it.

• Edited by Tim King UK Thursday, July 14, 2016 8:19 PM
    Thursday, July 14, 2016 8:18 PM
  • For anybody else with similar problem: You might want to try and start IE as Administrator (right click -> 'Run as Administrator') - it worked for me on Windows 7 & IE 11.

Cheers,

• Proposed as answer by rcase13 Wednesday, August 31, 2016 5:33 PM
    Saturday, July 23, 2016 5:20 PM
  • I can't get anything on that site to work. The "Add" buttons do nothing and I'm not using protected mode. I've used F12 to do everything I can in changing document modes but it keeps defaulting to 7 (I'm not sure why or even if this has anything to do with the tragedy that is that site). I'm also using IE in admin mode to no avail. It's absolutely pathetic that such an elite IT company like Microsoft can build such a shoddy site like that...

Groaning aside, has anyone figured out how to download updates from it in Windows 7 64-bit using IE 11?

Wednesday, August 31, 2016 12:09 PM
  • For anybody else with similar problem: You might want to try and start IE as Administrator (right click -> 'Run as Administrator') - it worked for me on Windows 7 & IE 11.

Cheers,

This worked for me. Thanks!
    Wednesday, August 31, 2016 5:33 PM
  • Everyone:

I've had numerous issues with updating and I think I finally found the solution (it comes in 2 downloads and must be installed / restarted one at a time)!

(Before you do anything, disable Windows Update. For reasons why, go here.)

Now the downloads:

1.) https://download.microsoft.com/download/5/D/0/5D0821EB-A92D-4CA2-9020-EC41D56B074F/Windows6.1-KB3020369-x64.msu

2.) https://download.microsoft.com/download/5/6/0/560504D4-F91A-4DEB-867F-C713F7821374/Windows6.1-KB3172605-x64.msu

Download both of those.

Install #1 first (and if it gives you an indication that it's already installed, don't worry about it--still restart after going through its steps).

Once you come back to the Desktop after restarting from #1, go ahead and install #2. Restart.

Then try to run Windows Update like normal.

Credit for this goes to Volume Z but don't blame him / her if this doesn't work for you--I'm providing this as an assumption that your situation is similar / 1-for-1 with how mine was.

Wednesday, August 31, 2016 9:36 PM
  • That's all well and good, however, using windows update, when you get a failure to install loop, isn't that efficient. You are left with using the catalog, to get the KB you need.
    Friday, September 23, 2016 3:37 AM
  • I really hate the catalog, it is a remnant from 1995...

After breaking every security policy at our company I got as far as waiting for the download to start when a Javascript Prompt appears saying that I can restart failed downloads. I press OK and the page crashes.

FFS MICROSOFT! GET YOUR THINGS TOGETHER.All in Swedish thanks to illogical WIndows 10 settings...

Unfortunately all is in Swedish because reasons...

"We were too many people, we had too much money, to much equipment, and little by little we went insane." /Francis Ford Coppola

Friday, October 7, 2016 7:48 AM
  • I really hate the catalog, it is a remnant from 1995...

Do you have to use it this way?  What about WSUS?  At the risk of getting O/T I think if it was generally known how it gets its updates (e.g. as an alternate, more modern, more supported "client" of the catalog) maybe we could find a workaround for all these blockages involving the (obsolete) ActiveX implementation?

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, October 7, 2016 9:15 PM
    Answerer
  • Do you have to use it this way? 
    Well yes, I update System Center components. But I realize that the "solution" is to throw every reason in the trash and browse to this page as an administrator using IE. Every policy broken there. The solution would of course be a modern page using html 5 and not intrusive activex components for just downloading files.

"We were too many people, we had too much money, to much equipment, and little by little we went insane." /Francis Ford Coppola

Monday, October 10, 2016 11:18 AM
  • Latest update (build 14393.321) has the same problem.  More related symptoms found

C.f.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/c2b73b22-687d-40b2-a456-a566ae6dffe1/this-months-updates-kb3192440-for-rtm-kb3192441-for-1511-and-kb3194798-for-1607-on-the-way?forum=win10itprogeneral#db10abc8-ab67-4e93-a33c-0a2f4ea48d2a

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Last post there includes a potential workaround.
    Thursday, October 13, 2016 6:23 PM
    Answerer